Question Cannot boot windows after Hard Drive triggered BSOD

Jul 28, 2024
Hi all,

I was accessing an old hard drive on my computer when a notification popped up from disk manager that I said something like I needed to format it to access it. I had however already accessed it, as it was open on file manager. I pressed ok to see where the message would take me, and then immediately the Blue Screen of Death appeared. Since then, whenever I load my computer it says - PXE MOF exiting PXE rom no bootable device, Reboot and select proper boot device or insert book media in selected boot device and press a key.

I have gone into bios to look at my boot priorities, Windows Boot Manager is not listed on there, and from what I can gather it should be. I have windows 10, boot mode is 'legacy+UEFI', and boot option one is my hard disk which is in the SATA1 port.

Computer details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 8-Core 3.60GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX: M-ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 1x M.2
SSD: 1TB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 545MB/s Read (1 Drive)
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB - DX12(R) - VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP, 5 Monitor Support (Single Card)

I have tried various different settings in Bios such as changing to just UEFI rather than 'legacy+UEFI'. I created a windows bootable USB drive to load, which allowed me to bring up the screen where you could select 'repair'; however, it came back with nothing. When I load command prompt from that same place it has x:\sources, rather than my actual hard drive number with windows files accessible from it.

Tried searching for the drive the operating system is on by typing in - bcdedit |find “osdevice” - but nothing happened.

Am at a total loss as to how to get it to load, and have no idea what actually happened. I think what may have happened is that I accidently set the external hard drive to "disk 0", and now my computer can't find the disk with windows on it. But I don't know how to fix that from bios or command prompt, if that is even the issue.

Thanks very much for any help that anyone is able to provide.

Jul 28, 2024
I looked that up and tried it. Ran command prompt from the external USB with the windows media creation thing on it. However, the only disk showing when getting to 'list volume' on DiskPart is the USB device that I am using - my actual computer hard drive doesn't show up so I can't continue with the repair process.

Also, when I search for windows using 'bootrec /scanos', it comes back with 0.

Jul 28, 2024
Sounds like your SSD died, if its not showing up in the bios try plugging it into another port. If that doesn't work try putting it in another computer as a secondary drive to see if it can find it.
That may be the case, however its very odd that the crash occurred as soon as I clicked OK on the message re the external hard drive.

My internal HD still shows up on BIOS, but even when I select it as first priority in booting it doesn't load windows. Windows boot manager also does not appear on the boot list.

Is it possible that the external hard drive was assigned the 'place' of my internal one, and that BIOS is attempting to essentially load of the external drive instead of the internal?

whenever I load my computer it says - PXE MOF exiting PXE rom no bootable device
That means - you're trying to boot from network.
Disable boot from network in Boot priority settings.
You're not ever going to use this feature.

BTW - did you disconnect external drive before boot?
My internal HD still shows up on BIOS, but even when I select it as first priority in booting it doesn't load windows.
Can you show a screenshot, where OS drive appears in BIOS?
Does it get displayed with proper capacity?
(upload photo to imgur.com and post link)
Ran command prompt from the external USB with the windows media creation thing on it. However, the only disk showing when getting to 'list volume' on DiskPart is the USB device that I am using
Please execute following and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Anyway - all this points to SSD failure.
Get a new SSD. Reinstall windows on new SSD.

Jul 28, 2024
That means - you're trying to boot from network.
Disable boot from network in Boot priority settings.
You're not ever going to use this feature.

BTW - did you disconnect external drive before boot?

Can you show a screenshot, where OS drive appears in BIOS?
Does it get displayed with proper capacity?

Please execute following and show screenshot with command output.
diskpart
list disk
select disk 0
list partition
list volume

Anyway - all this points to SSD failure.
Get a new SSD. Reinstall windows on new SSD.
I managed to get the network off as priority in boot order but its still not able to find the drive to boot windows.

Here's a link to the shots you requested: View: https://imgur.com/a/mPA0pBq

There are a few of what I see on the Boot screen on BIOS - they show the the HD, as well as the external drive that I am using to run windows diagnostic and command prompt from which has been given #1 priority to boot in one or two sections, it appears Im unable to change that to anything else.

There is also the output from command prompt following the instructions you provided above. My hard drive is still showing there as drive 0, with nearly a TB of memory. Except when I select it, it then just shows the external drive Im running the command prompt from. You'll see what I mean in the pic and will likely understand it much better than I.

Thanks for the help btw.

Here's a link to the shots you requested
Your SSD appears to be empty.
It has only 15MB Protective MBR partition and rest of it is unallocated.

Set UEFI USB Key drive as boot option #1 and
UEFI Hard disk as Boot option #2.
Disable all the other boot options.
You have 11! unnecessary boot options enabled. They just slow down boot process.

Boot from windows installation media and reinstall windows.
BTW - you may want to get a new SSD. WD Green SSDs are not particularly reliable.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2024
Your SSD appears to be empty.
It has only 15MB Protective MBR partition and rest of it is unallocated.

Set UEFI USB Key drive as boot option #1 and
UEFI Hard disk as Boot option #2.
Disable all the other boot options.
You have 11! unnecessary boot options enabled. They just slow down boot process.

Boot from windows installation media and reinstall windows.
BTW - you may want to get a new SSD. WD Green SSDs are not particularly reliable.

Does it look like Ive re-formatted it by accident then?