Question Cannot boot windows after Hard Drive triggered BSOD

Jul 28, 2024
Hi all,

I was accessing an old hard drive on my computer when a notification popped up from disk manager that I said something like I needed to format it to access it. I had however already accessed it, as it was open on file manager. I pressed ok to see where the message would take me, and then immediately the Blue Screen of Death appeared. Since then, whenever I load my computer it says - PXE MOF exiting PXE rom no bootable device, Reboot and select proper boot device or insert book media in selected boot device and press a key.

I have gone into bios to look at my boot priorities, Windows Boot Manager is not listed on there, and from what I can gather it should be. I have windows 10, boot mode is 'legacy+UEFI', and boot option one is my hard disk which is in the SATA1 port.

Computer details:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - 8-Core 3.60GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo - 32MB L3 Cache Processor, Pro OC Compatible (No On-board Graphics)
MEMORY: 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/3000mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX: M-ATX w/ RGB, USB 3.1, SATA3, 1x M.2
SSD: 1TB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 545MB/s Read (1 Drive)
VIDEO: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB - DX12(R) - VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP, 5 Monitor Support (Single Card)

I have tried various different settings in Bios such as changing to just UEFI rather than 'legacy+UEFI'. I created a windows bootable USB drive to load, which allowed me to bring up the screen where you could select 'repair'; however, it came back with nothing. When I load command prompt from that same place it has x:\sources, rather than my actual hard drive number with windows files accessible from it.

Tried searching for the drive the operating system is on by typing in - bcdedit |find “osdevice” - but nothing happened.

Am at a total loss as to how to get it to load, and have no idea what actually happened. I think what may have happened is that I accidently set the external hard drive to "disk 0", and now my computer can't find the disk with windows on it. But I don't know how to fix that from bios or command prompt, if that is even the issue.

Thanks very much for any help that anyone is able to provide.

Jul 28, 2024
I looked that up and tried it. Ran command prompt from the external USB with the windows media creation thing on it. However, the only disk showing when getting to 'list volume' on DiskPart is the USB device that I am using - my actual computer hard drive doesn't show up so I can't continue with the repair process.

Also, when I search for windows using 'bootrec /scanos', it comes back with 0.