cannot connect my computer through D-Link DGS 1005g network switch

Dataonly76

Reputable
May 28, 2014
devices:
1. modem: technicolor n587 v3 - has 3 10/100 port and 1 gigabit port
2. gigabit switch : 5 port giga switch DGS 1005G 5
3. PC -(windows 10) with gigabit ethernet port
4. hp n40l microserver (windows server 2012)

setup:
1. connect switch with modem via gigabit port on modem
2. connect pc to one of the port on switch, error on pc, ethernet cable not plugged in
3. connect microserver to one of the port on switch, connecting fine

switch the 2 cables and same prob, while no prob with microserver, pc just wouldn't connect

if connect pc directly to modem either to the 10/100 or the gigabit port, pc connect fine (tested with both cables), it just doesn't work when connect pc to gigabit switch!!!

i thought it is simple to setup, just connect switch to modem then other devices like pc, microserver etc connect to switch, obvious it isnt' that simple, what have i missed here.

please help.

thanks

Dataonly76

Reputable
May 28, 2014
i am aware of that, i have 2 spare cat5e cable and tried them both same issue, connection with microserver no prob, with asus laptop not detecting cable, if connect without the switch no prob at all.

Dataonly76

Reputable
May 28, 2014
After many searches on google some one suggest changing the speed & duplex of the adapter so

connect to the new d-link gigabit switch, changed from:

AUTO NEGOTIATION to: 10Mbps/Full Duplex - WORKED ! and then

100Mbps/Full Duplex - WORKED ! then 1 Gbps/ Full Duplex - nothing, and back to

Auto Negotiation - NO CONNECTION

1 Gbps/ Full Duplex - NO CONNECTION

The latest driver available for this adapter is dated back to 2012 so perhaps the driver is so old that it isn't compatible with more update gigabit provided by more modern hardware like one use in the D-Link, worked for the Technicolor because it uses older hardware?

I assume the K52F is not compatible with gigabit modem router/switch so data transfer between all computers on my network will never be able to connect to the K52F at gigabit speed, 100Mbps max :(