Question Cannot connect to a shared printer without Homegroup

happy_slip

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I have 2 computers connected to the same network, one wirelessly (laptop) and one hardwired (desktop). My laptop is connected directly to the printer on another room. I am trying to print from my desktop but cannot detect the laptop. Both are using Windows 10. Both connected to a private network (one ethernet, the other wifi ssid). Printer Sharing already enabled

happy_slip

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
When I "Add a Printer or Scanner" > "The printer that I want isn't listed" > "select a Shared printer by name" regardless if I type the path or click on Browse, it will not detect the other computer

Are you sharing any files/folders between the two by chance? If not, set a shared folder in the laptop and see if you can "see" it from the desktop. This should confirm whether or not file sharing is working correctly. Once you verify it is working, try connecting to the printer again.

happy_slip

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
No, but I tried. I created a folder on the desktop of the laptop, added a test docx. Right click > properties and shared it to everyone and also clicked on advanced sharing and ticked "Share this folder" But still cant find it on the other computer

OK, this might be causing your printer issue. Do me a favor and post your version of these screens from either computer (as they should match).
Note: public folder sharing is personal preference.
sharing-1.jpg

sharing-2.jpg

happy_slip

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Thanks, these screenshots is what I exactly have on both the Desktop and the Laptop.

I am not sure if this is causing the problem:
Network Status:
Ethernet Private Network (Desktop)
Wifi Private Network (Laptop)

Sonds right considering laptop is on wifi and desktop in wired. Can you tell me where that screen is (that is telling you wifi private network)? The network status page only identifies it as a private network (with the network name) whether you are on wifi or ethernet.