[SOLVED] Cannot delete folder

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2021
An application that is supposed to be writing data to an external drive says it can't because the volume is dirty and I should run chkdsk. I do run chkdsk /r on the external drive and it says, "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file \file recovery\Found files\Removable Disk (E)\Lost\Lost473_4 of name 1.
Corruption was found while examining files in directory \file recovery\Found files\Removable Disk (E)\Lost\ (12)."
The first part of the message is odd to me because the external drive has 1.41 TB free of 1.81 TB so there is ample space there to replace bad clusters. The folder identified was created by a file recovery application that I used to try and recover files from a USB thumb drive that had lost all its data. However, I have moved on from that event and no longer need the 'file recovery' folder, so I tried to delete it, unsuccessfully. I went into safe mode with command prompt and navigated to the problematic folder then ran "del .". The result of that was, "The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty. Please run chkdsk and try again."., which takes me back to square one.
Is there any way to delete this problematic folder or must I reformat the drive?
The file system of the external drive is exFAT, which is unfamiliar to me. Everything else is NTFS. The PC is running Windows 7 Professional.
Any help would be much appreciated.

Sep 6, 2021
What application(s) are you using to write data to the external disk?

What file recovery software - if any?

Make and model of external disk? USB connection?

Open the Disk Management Window and take a full screenshot showing system drives.

Post the screenshot here via an imgur link (www.imgur.com).
The application writing to the disc is BiglyBT.
I can't be sure which file recovery software created the contents of the 'File recovery' folder. I tried several of them. I am fairly sure it was either Restorer Ultimate or Easy Drive Data Recovery. I should clarify that the application did not create the folder. I created the folder for recovered data to be written into.
The external drive is a Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB, USB connection.
I'm sorry, but I tried to register with imgur but couldn't get the phone verification to work. Is there any other option to post a screenshot of Disk Management?

it says, "The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters detected in file \file recovery\Found files\Removable Disk (E)\Lost\Lost473_4 of name 1.
Corruption was found while examining files in directory \file recovery\Found files\Removable Disk (E)\Lost\ (12)."
Probably resulting folder/file name string is too long.
Rename folders and subfolders to something shorter.

Sep 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the drive is clean of any important data, why not go into My Computer>right click on external drive and run format on it? Then try and migrate data to the external drive.
Thanks, the data is all important, so if there is no other option then I will need to try to make space on other drives, transfer the files, reformat the disc and then migrate the data back again. I think it is doable but will take quite a while.

Sep 6, 2021
Probably resulting folder/file name string is too long.
Rename folders and subfolders to something shorter.
Thanks, rename is not listed in the context menu and when I try to rename it by command-line it says, "The operation could not be completed because the volume is dirty. Please run chkdsk and try again."

Sep 6, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the drive is clean of any important data, why not go into My Computer>right click on external drive and run format on it? Then try and migrate data to the external drive.
It's all done now and whatever was dirty is now clean according to chkdsk. It took pretty much all day; I hoped there might be a quick fix but knew from the outset that I might have to go the long route.

Status
Not open for further replies.