Question Cannot get audio in headphones no matter what I do.

Oct 12, 2022
Apologies if this is the wrong category to ask in, but I'm honestly at my wits end, and I haven't found a solution yet.

As of late, anything plugged into my 3.5mm jack would be significantly quieter. The headphones worked perfectly fine on any other device and would play things at appropriate volume, but it even max volume on my laptop wouldn't be even half of other devices, or even headsets plugged into USB. I attempted to open RealTek, but it would just be stuck loading. After a little bit of checking, I did what usually resolves RealTek issues, and reinstalled the drivers. This allowed me to open RealTek, but now no audio comes through my headphones, USB or 3.5mm. I've since restarted, reinstalled the drivers from ASUS, RealTek themselves, and from Windows. All things show that they detect my headphones and troubleshooting brought me no issues as far as I can tell, and yet I still have no audio. The port is clean, the headphones are functional, I'm not sure what to do.

It could be a small error on my part, I'm just not sure why it's like this.

Laptop is a Zephyrus G GA502DU
Ryzen 7 3750H
16GB of RAM (Doesn't tell me any more, apologies)
512GB SSD
Nvidia 1660 Ti
Windows 10 Home

If need be I can post additional specs, not sure how in depth you want me to go.

EDIT: It is no longer recognizing my headphones, even though it did just a little bit ago. Now RealTek is claiming it "Does not support my device."

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Could be corrupted files.

Start with the applicable audio drivers: manually download directly via manufacturer's website. Reinstall, reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

Next consider "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to fix corrupted files.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Another option(s) is to right-click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner. Doing so should open a menu with quite a number of selection choices each which, in turn, leads to any number of windows, tabs, screens, an properties.

Explore first, then if and as warranted, make changes but only one change at a time.

Oct 12, 2022
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Could be corrupted files.

Start with the applicable audio drivers: manually download directly via manufacturer's website. Reinstall, reconfigure. No third party tools or installers.

Next consider "sfc /scannow" and "dism" to fix corrupted files.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Another option(s) is to right-click the small speaker icon usually located in the lower right screen corner. Doing so should open a menu with quite a number of selection choices each which, in turn, leads to any number of windows, tabs, screens, an properties.

Explore first, then if and as warranted, make changes but only one change at a time.

Sorry about the delayed response, my brother was attempting to fix this. We went through and there were corrupted files, removed but nothing changed. We've also installed audio drivers directly from the manufacturer's website, for this specific model, and still nothing changed. We checked through the BIOS as well to see if there was anything specific for ASUS that was screwing anything up, nothing there as well. I've checked everything related to audio I can find on the computer, and still nothing comes through.

My guess is I screwed up reinstalling drivers the first time around somehow, my brother seems to think this is some kind of root issue that would require a Windows reset.

Oct 12, 2022
Sorry about the delayed response, my brother was attempting to fix this. We went through and there were corrupted files, removed but nothing changed. We've also installed audio drivers directly from the manufacturer's website, for this specific model, and still nothing changed. We checked through the BIOS as well to see if there was anything specific for ASUS that was screwing anything up, nothing there as well. I've checked everything related to audio I can find on the computer, and still nothing comes through.

My guess is I screwed up reinstalling drivers the first time around somehow, my brother seems to think this is some kind of root issue that would require a Windows reset.

Should be noted, it seems the headphones are being registered now, and when plugged in you hear the quiet little crackle and pop when you first plug in something, but then no audio comes through