Question Cannot get Windows 10 on new SSD

Jul 17, 2019
I have an Asus ROG GL702VM laptop, it's old hdd died a while back and I am just now getting around to installing a new one but it has been driving me crazy. I replaced the hdd with the new ssd, and inserted a windows installation usb into the laptop.

Problem 1: the installation will loop forever, returning back to the windows setup screen after finishing the install

Problem 2 (sort of solved): my ssd would not show up as a bootable device, I had to turn off secure boot and enable CSM support in the bios for it to appear.

Problem 3: I have tried to go back to the bios and change the boot order after the install finishes, but it just ignores this and goes straight back to the windows usb. If I straight up remove the usb, I get "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key".

So clearly something is going wrong with the install of windows, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Thanks in advance for any help I can get.

The thing is, since you installed windows UEFI mode and THEN changed back to CSM, you're unable to boot disregarding whatever the Problem 1 was.

Try reinstalling Windows now, without secure boot and with CSM enabled.

Do not set USB as boot #1 in BIOS, just press ESC when ASUS logo appears and select your usb as one-time boot.

Note that you might have two options: 'UEFI USB' and 'USB', so make sure to boot from non-UEFI option

peters43gone

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
I had this situation when I installed Windows first time in my life. In BIOS, USB has the priority over my hard disk, and after the completion of the installation, everything again started with USB as a loop.

After a few loops, I removed the USB from my PC, and the next reset made everything normal. After that, I changed the booting priority of USB below the hard disk.

Jul 17, 2019
The thing is, since you installed windows UEFI mode and THEN changed back to CSM, you're unable to boot disregarding whatever the Problem 1 was.

Try reinstalling Windows now, without secure boot and with CSM enabled.

Do not set USB as boot #1 in BIOS, just press ESC when ASUS logo appears and select your usb as one-time boot.

Note that you might have two options: 'UEFI USB' and 'USB', so make sure to boot from non-UEFI option

Okay so this seems to be getting me somewhere, but now I get a new error when trying to install Windows. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Not sure what to do from here.

Jul 17, 2019
I had this situation when I installed Windows first time in my life. In BIOS, USB has the priority over my hard disk, and after the completion of the installation, everything again started with USB as a loop.

After a few loops, I removed the USB from my PC, and the next reset made everything normal. After that, I changed the booting priority of USB below the hard disk.

If I remove the USB after the loop, it will just give me a black screen telling me "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key" No matter what I do, I cannot seem to make my SSD a bootable device.

Okay so this seems to be getting me somewhere, but now I get a new error when trying to install Windows. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

Not sure what to do from here.
Did you delete all partitions (from previous install attempts) until you get 100% 'unallocated space'? Then you create a new partition to install Windows onto.

Better yet, before you select the ssd during install, press Shift + F10 keys together on the keyboard. This will open the command prompt window:
  1. The Command Prompt windows opens up. Type diskpart in it and press Enter key.
  2. Type list disk command and hit Enter key. This command will list all disks on your computer. Which we presume are your SSD and USB.
  3. Type select disk 0 if 0 is the SSD disk number, if not you should replace 0 with the disk # SSD has. And press Enter.
  4. Type clean and hit Enter. This command will remove all partitions.
  5. Type Convert MBR.
  6. Close Command prompt and press refresh in the Windows installation window.
  7. Create new partition for install

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2019
Did you delete all partitions (from previous install attempts) until you get 100% 'unallocated space'? Then you create a new partition to install Windows onto.

Better yet, before you select the ssd during install, press Shift + F10 keys together on the keyboard. This will open the command prompt window:
  1. The Command Prompt windows opens up. Type diskpart in it and press Enter key.
  2. Type list disk command and hit Enter key. This command will list all disks on your computer. Which we presume are your SSD and USB.
  3. Type select disk 0 if 0 is the SSD disk number, if not you should replace 0 with the disk # SSD has. And press Enter.
  4. Type clean and hit Enter. This command will remove all partitions.
  5. Type Convert MBR.
  6. Close Command prompt and press refresh in the Windows installation window.
  7. Create new partition for install

I have two separate scenarios that I can get.

A) I keep secure boot on and things go like normal, I clean the disk and create the partition, Windows installs then reboots endlessly, but since I am on secure boot, my ssd will not show up in the boot menu.

B) I turn off secure boot and enable CSM support. My ssd will show up in the boot menu, but Windows will not allow me to install onto the disk and gives me the same error as before: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

It also tells me "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files" if I ignore the error and hit next. Even when I just made a new partition on the same screen... I truly am lost on how this is so difficult.

I have two separate scenarios that I can get.

A) I keep secure boot on and things go like normal, I clean the disk and create the partition, Windows installs then reboots endlessly, but since I am on secure boot, my ssd will not show up in the boot menu.

B) I turn off secure boot and enable CSM support. My ssd will show up in the boot menu, but Windows will not allow me to install onto the disk and gives me the same error as before: "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu."

It also tells me "We couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. For more information, see the Setup log files" if I ignore the error and hit next. Even when I just made a new partition on the same screen... I truly am lost on how this is so difficult.
are your SATA set to AHCI in BIOS? What is the SSD model?

Jul 17, 2019
To anybody who comes across the same issues as I did, what I ended up doing was just buying a Samsung 970 EVO Plus m.2 drive and installing my OS on it, then using the ssd as its own storage drive. Must have been an issue with putting windows on this specific type of drive.