lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Looking for some expert advice :)

My config is as follows (new build with all new / refurb parts) :

> Supermicro P3TDDE dual tualatin board
> 2 x Pentium III-S Tualatin SL6BY 1400Mhz
> Gainward 7800GS 512mb AGP
> 1gb ECC PC133 (waiting for 4gb to arrive in the post)
> Western Digital WD16000BB 7,200rpm ATA/IDE drive

I had the machine all set up with BIOS defaults. The drive was connected using an 80 pin ATA 100/133 cable, with the jumper set toe "cable select".

I am not familiar with IDE/ATA cables and had it wired up backwards (for cable management I wired it up in the most aesthetically pleasing manner) but I did not realise this at first. BIOS recognised it as slave (as the centre 40 pin was connected to the mobo, with the blue connector going to the drive). I installed windows 7 and began testing (COD4, Bioshock, Crysis) and messed around for a while. When restarting I noticed in the BIOS it was running at ATA 33 rate.

After researching for a bit I realised the connection error and reversed the wiring. On POST, the drive was now recognised as master ATA 100 / DMA-2. After POST it would give an error "Missing operating system".

I tried to reinstall windows 7, copied all files ok etc but on the mid install reboot it presents me with the "Missing operating system" error. I have tried installing windows xp SP3 with all the slipstream drivers under the sun and it halts at the same point (just with a flashing cursor).

The wiring is now as it should be, and the drive is recognised as master - but I cannot install anything. Any help appreciated as it is a great machine with all parts specifically sourced for this build - just need to sort the config so it will run to it's full potential.

Thanks

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hmmm...just an update.

I moved the cable so that the drive would be recognised as a slave. The jumper is still set to cable select and the BIOS reads it as slave.

Now the problem has disappeared. It is not ideal though, I would like the BIOS to recognise it as master and boot correctly.

The BIOS boot sequence does read Floppy, CDROM, HD0 (which is the default master) so not sure what is going on. HD1 (slave) isn't even on the boot list, it's almost as if BIOS checks HD0, realises it's not there so just jumps to the slave without a check. When it checks master (and cable select is master) it thinks then present the error.

:s

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
If anybody comes across this thread I think it is solved. When you specify a HD in the boot sequence (e.g. HD0) the BIOS will (of course) try to boot from this location.

I removed all HD listings from the boot sequence and enabled 'boot any other device'. The BIOS does not check / validate the other device and will do a blind boot - which works.

I am guessing this is an old board so not used to modern MBR / boot loaders of SP3 and Win 7. Does not hang to check the hard drive now - just boots straight away into windows.

Doesn't matter if master / slave - just don't specify a HD0, HD1 etc