cannot set up pc to samsung 4k tv via hdmi-hdmi, sounds simple ..apparently not!

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
just simple set up woes , i think im just over looking something simple hoping some one can shine a light! thanks . hi, having a right headache here im trying to hook up my pc to my new tv (samsung 4k) via hdmi it should be just plug and play it has been for my other 2 samsung tvs with this very same computer. problem is firstly i plugged in the hdmi to my graphics card then into my tv and all i got from the tv was no signal but i could hear the plug and play noises from the computer, ive tried every setting possible for the tv to no avail ( samsung say it should just plug and play there really is no 'options' for pc mode it should just plug and play. so i thought i must need to change the desktop settings so i plugged the hdmi back into my monitor to change them and set up multiple displays etc but the computer will not and does not remember my tv rigorous display detection doesnt find anything either, so i was left with one thing .. to try and hook the monitor up via dvi-vga then hook the tv up via hdmi-hdmi so i could then see on the montior what was happening when i plugged in the tv and then change the settings via the monitor while it still recognised the tv in settings .... buuutt as soon as i plugged in the hdmi to the tv the screen on the monitor disappears takes about 1 minute then comes back on showing the desktop picture but with no icons , the tv remains saying no signal all the while... so im stuck still not being able to change any settings.

my set up is as follows

coolermaster case
corsair ax750w psu
corsair 12gb ddr3
evga gtx 780 ti sc
gigabyte GA-Z77-D3H mobo
intel i5 3570k 3.40ghz
western digital blue 1tb hdd
cables hdmi-hdmi full spec 3d 4k compatible etc.
dvi-d to vga .
running stock.

Solution
Not all TV's label a PC mode. Mine, for example, has a list of "just scan".

Anyways, set it up with a monitor also attached, so you can see your settings while attempting to setup the TV. Then try and create a custom resolution for 3840x2160 at 30hz. You will be limited to 30hz. It is possible the TV or PC is trying to connect at 60hz, which is not possible with HDMI 1.4b or older. Only HDMI 2.0 can, and your video card doesn't support it, as far as I'm aware. If it is attempting to connected at 60hz, it'll fail to connect after a long pause while trying.

cowboydude99

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
Okay, if there are no icons it sounds like the TV is showing up as an extended device, not a primary display.

Are you using an old HDMI cable? Maybe the cable doesn't support the resolution.

I believe you need at least HDMI 1.4 for 4k.

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
all my hdmi cables are full new spec i checked that sorry i should have mentioned that. there is no icons on the monitor the tv all ways says no signal.

Not all TV's label a PC mode. Mine, for example, has a list of "just scan".

Anyways, set it up with a monitor also attached, so you can see your settings while attempting to setup the TV. Then try and create a custom resolution for 3840x2160 at 30hz. You will be limited to 30hz. It is possible the TV or PC is trying to connect at 60hz, which is not possible with HDMI 1.4b or older. Only HDMI 2.0 can, and your video card doesn't support it, as far as I'm aware. If it is attempting to connected at 60hz, it'll fail to connect after a long pause while trying.

Solution

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
hi bystander, firstly i do mention that ive got a monitor hooked up as wlel as the tv so if you would care to read again and i fully explain the predicament, as for the 60hz thing it does make some sense ... but it should be plug and play i have a sky set top box hooked up that runs at 50hz 1080p and the tv detects it and plays it so the tv should do the same with the pc, a 4k tv isnt just 4k after all it supports all resolutions so it should adjust accordingly , as for setting a custom res i cant because the pc doesnt remember my tv (quite a common thing) and i also seem to have to work blind in any other instance, i should mention ive also tried the windows+p thing while working blind to no avail. thanks for trying to help though ! you seem to know your shit so a good brain storming session could iron this out.

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
ok update, after all my confusion frustratingly all i had to do was keep scrolling left for a minute with the mouse and my mouse pointer appeared, thus enabling me to right click and change options , also bystander was correct with the hdmi support on my card it doesnt seem to support it but my tv does so the picture will only come on the tv when i select 30hz or lower , but now the problem i have is the desktop picture that comes up on my tv is an a3 paper size of the desktop picture and the rest of the tv screen is a black border , how do i get it to fill my screen ?

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
ok so ive kinda got it sorted, the screen wasnt small the desktop picture was! when i start a game up it fills the screen , but as its in 30hz it seems a little choppy not very smooth can i run it at 2k and 60hz? or is that restricted to 30hz also ? another thing is how the screens are set up half the icons and actions i do are on one scree nwhile the other half is on the other screen .. right fuck about runnign from screen to screen trying to start a game up lol.

Ah, the background was not 4k, making it look smaller than it was. Cool, that is easily fixable.

Yes, 30hz is not good for gaming. Especially with a mouse. Controller gaming isn't as bad at 30hz, but still not great.

I believe you can run 1440p at 60hz, but you will have to test it out.

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
i tried 2k no go , i tried 1440p on one game that was a no go but i didnt get the option to change the hz but i presumed it would be defaultt 60hz? hopefully nvidia release a firmware update to enable 2.0 on the hdmi ports of my card. i must say though i played a few games at 1080p @60hz on my tv and the samsung 55uehu7500 has an excellent upscaling engine so it looks pretty spectacular any way.

Since this is a TV, these resolutions may not be automatically recognized, but that does not mean you cannot create a custom resolution. If you create a custom resolution for 2560x1440p @60hz within the Nvidia control panel, it should show up in games.

I've done this on my 120hz 1080p monitor, with a 2560x1440 80hz resolution. The result is I supersampling like AA on games that don't support good AA options.

mjd76

Reputable
Oct 31, 2014
yeah ive overclocked a monitor before and i know what you mean about creating custom res and they do normally show up , but this was fifa 15 and their settings are pretty locked down and minimal. il give it a go but dont think it will show up, i might be able to go into the directory of the fifa program files and change it there and give it a whirl. thanks for your time and help though. i hate it when things beat me.

To create custom resolution, open up your Nvidia Control Panel. Click on "change resolution" on the left. Then below the list of available resolutions, choose custom...

Create a 2560x1440 resolution at 60hz. Assuming this resolution wasn't already available in the list above the customize button. Once created and tested, you can pick a different resolution for your desktop, but this will make it available in games, assuming the game will support it.