[SOLVED] Cannot use Wake-On-Lan, 'enable this device to wake computer' greyed out

sds20020024

Reputable
Jan 23, 2019
I want to use wakeonlan to wake up my computer from sleep using my phone.

But the option 'enable this device to wake computer' is greyed out in Windows network adapter properties.

( All images related to this post are here)

Motherboard: Gigabyte B450M DS3H v1
Network Adapter : RealTek Semiconductor RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
BIOS version : f61c

I'm using the latest build of Windows 11.

In BIOS,
' Wake On Lan' is enabled
PCIE aspm is turned off,
PXE boot to lan is turned on.
ErP is disabled.

There is no option for 'PME Event Wake up' in my BIOS.

In Windows network adapter properties,

'Shutdown Wake-On-Lan' is turned on
'Wake on magic packet' is turned on
'Wake on pattern match' is turned off, (turning this on doesn't change anything)
'Power saving mode' is turned off
'Green Ethernet' is turned off

I have tried installing the newest driver for my network adapter from gigabyte's website,

I have tried 5 older drivers from gigabyte's website, and other websites, but the option is still greyed out, and wake on lan doesn't work.

Yes, my PC and my phone are on the same LAN.

I have tried editing the registry and adding 'AllowWakeFromS5' key in 'Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NDIS\Parameters'

I have located my network adapter driver key and tried changing the keys 'S5WakeOnLan' to 1 and 'PowerDownPll' to 0 in 'Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\'.

None of these steps changed anything, and I cannot use wake on lan.

The only option I have now is to update my BIOS to version f62.
But before I do that, is there anything I am missing?
Is there any setting in Windows, changing which will allow me to use wake on lan?

Any help at all is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
Wake on lan has always been a little flakey and now microsoft got involved.

What is surprising is people think there is a registry setting or something to set this. When the machine is in this state only the ethernet chip is active the cpu memory etc are actually powered off. Microsoft is arrogant to think that only windows runs on machines. The machine could technically use a network boot and boot the OS off the network. Until the boot process starts there is no OS of any kind.

The problem is microsoft reinvented wake on lan and has a couple other proprietary forms. This only works if the bios manufactures add support which many did. You now have this mess where there are multiple variations of this.

In addition you...
Wake on lan has always been a little flakey and now microsoft got involved.

What is surprising is people think there is a registry setting or something to set this. When the machine is in this state only the ethernet chip is active the cpu memory etc are actually powered off. Microsoft is arrogant to think that only windows runs on machines. The machine could technically use a network boot and boot the OS off the network. Until the boot process starts there is no OS of any kind.

The problem is microsoft reinvented wake on lan and has a couple other proprietary forms. This only works if the bios manufactures add support which many did. You now have this mess where there are multiple variations of this.

In addition you have many apps written by people that have no clue what wake on lan really is. They think you can send the magic packet to a IP address. But again there is no OS running so there is no IP address yet.

A official wake on lan packet sends a packet to the broadcast mac address that contains the real mac in a special pattern in the payload part of the packet. The problem is some motherboards accept packets in other slightly different formats so it is inconsistent.

Not sure what to tell you. Even before the current mess you had to many times send the packet multiple times to get it to work. What I would first try to do if you are running microsoft OS is just to use one of their low power or sleep modes that leaves the machine fully on but in has everything running very low power.
There is almost no difference in the power consumption between wake on lan and the low power sleep options where the OS and networks are actually functional just running slowly until they are needed.

The option that even before worked much more consistently was boot on power up. With the fancy electrical outlets you can remotely turn on the power and the computer will automatically boot. This option in the bios tends to work very consistently.

Solution