Canon iP4000 wireless printing via Airport?

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

Has anyone successfully set up the Canon iP4000 for printing on an
Airport or Airport Extreme wireless network using a USB connection to
the base station? I'm currently using Mac OS 10.2.8, have an Airport
Extreme wireless network, and need a new printer. The Canon iP4000
replaces the Canon i860 which is reported to be compatible with printing
via Airport's wireless print server (Rendezvous technology). I've asked
Canon support this question and they will not say whether it will work
or not.

--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

"Steve James" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone successfully set up the Canon iP4000 for printing on an
> Airport or Airport Extreme wireless network using a USB connection to
> the base station? I'm currently using Mac OS 10.2.8, have an Airport
> Extreme wireless network, and need a new printer. The Canon iP4000
> replaces the Canon i860 which is reported to be compatible with printing
> via Airport's wireless print server (Rendezvous technology). I've asked
> Canon support this question and they will not say whether it will work
> or not.

First I hope you mean the iP400R and not the ip4000 as the 'R' is the one
that is supported for network connection including Apples Airport.

PC Medic <NOT@home.net> wrote:

> > Has anyone successfully set up the Canon iP4000 for printing on an
> > Airport or Airport Extreme wireless network using a USB connection to
> > the base station? I'm currently using Mac OS 10.2.8, have an Airport
> > Extreme wireless network, and need a new printer. The Canon iP4000
> > replaces the Canon i860 which is reported to be compatible with printing
> > via Airport's wireless print server (Rendezvous technology). I've asked
> > Canon support this question and they will not say whether it will work
> > or not.
> >

> First I hope you mean the iP400R and not the ip4000 as the 'R' is the one
> that is supported for network connection including Apples Airport.

No I am refering to connecting the iP4000 to the USB connection of the
Airport Extreme Base Station or the USB connection of the newer Airport
Express. To work on a wireless network with this connection, the
printer does not need to have built-in not the recently announced
iP4000R which has WiFi (IEEE802.11g) print server technology built in.
The R version of the printer is much more expensive.

--
To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.printing (More info?)

["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.printing.]
> No I am refering to connecting the iP4000 to the USB connection of the
> Airport Extreme Base Station or the USB connection of the newer Airport
> Express. To work on a wireless network with this connection, the
> printer does not need to have built-in not the recently announced
> iP4000R which has WiFi (IEEE802.11g) print server technology built in.
> The R version of the printer is much more expensive.

Basic printing should be possible. However, Canon seems to use some
awkward feedback which is used e.g. for printer status - which won't
transport via other print servers.

Regards
Martin

Steve James Wrote:
> Has anyone successfully set up the Canon iP4000 for printing on an
> Airport or Airport Extreme wireless network using a USB connection to
> the base station? I'm currently using Mac OS 10.2.8, have an Airport
> Extreme wireless network, and need a new printer. The Canon iP4000
> replaces the Canon i860 which is reported to be compatible with
> printing
> via Airport's wireless print server (Rendezvous technology). I've
> asked
> Canon support this question and they will not say whether it will work
> or not.
>
> --
> To email me use: sjusenet AT comcast DOT net

I am in the same boat: my iBook recognizes the ip4000 as on the
airport, but steadfastly refuses to print to it. Canon totally
unhelpful. Any suggestions appreciated!

--
Des ONeill