Canon Makes a Mouse With a Built-In Calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Why put a calculator on a mouse, when it is just two clicks away on your desktop? Besides that, I bought a calculator at the store for $1.00 and it works great, seriously. This really is just an expensive novelty item.

G

I think you guys are missing the main function, the number pad on computers thaat don't have one. I'm assuming you will be able to use it as such, and also turn off the keypad so you don't press numbers while using the mouse. I would buy one if I dealt with numbers constantly.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerod9000[/nom]I think you guys are missing the main function, the number pad on computers thaat don't have one. I'm assuming you will be able to use it as such, and also turn off the keypad so you don't press numbers while using the mouse. I would buy one if I dealt with numbers constantly.[/citation]
Why not just buy a standard keyboard?

How about a display with a calculator on it? It makes as much sense.

The big 'advantage' of an external calculator is that instead of clicking copy and paste (or Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V) on your PC keyboard after you compute a result with your on-screen keyboard, you can simply look at the display of the external calculator and type in the result digit by digit, decimal, sign, etc...

G

My cheap Microsoft keyboard has an "open calculator" button right above the num pad. It's actually really handy. I don't understand how looking at screen-> mouse -> screen is better or faster than just looking at different parts of the screen. I'm sure there is some cool calc apps that let you quickly copy and paste the numbers between apps too.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]CK159[/nom]I'm sure there is some cool calc apps that let you quickly copy and paste the numbers between apps too.[/citation]

That app is called Windows.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]cobra5000[/nom]Why put a calculator on a mouse, when it is just two clicks away on your desktop? Besides that, I bought a calculator at the store for $1.00 and it works great, seriously. This really is just an expensive novelty item.[/citation]Why buy an external numeric pad for a laptop when you can get a mouse that has a calculator built in? I highly doubt this was aimed at the desktop user.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Actually I see a use for this. MMO crafting. Right now, I use a combination of 'pen and paper' and tab-ing out of the game to use the wincalc to figure up material amounts. If it had two extra mouse buttons I'd be sold on it.

ralfthedog

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]That app is called Windows.[/citation]

Or mac, or Linux. The mouse I use on most of my computers has the entire surface used as a touchpad. It works for 2D scrolling and you can use gestures for things like opening up the calculator application.

One of these days, we will have a mouse that doubles as a computer. Just attach a keyboard and a screen.

srirambond007

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2010
[citation][nom]pollom[/nom]Windows:window +R -> "calc" = CalculatorLinux: Ctrl + Alt + T -> "gcalctool" = Calculator[/citation]

On a Mac its just F4 .. as simple as that :)

Status
Not open for further replies.