Canon Pixma MG5500 - Cartrige with auto-reset chips?

khrystyan27

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Hey guys!

I've recently bought an Canon Pixma MG5500 printer (yeah it's a printer, scanner, it has Wi-Fi, Social apps, color LCD, etc...). The problem is that today the LED on the black ink cartrige is on and I've got less than 10% ink remaining, so I'm asking you guys, which is the cheapest and best sollution for this printer? I don't know how to refill those cartriges... :(

I want to refill them and I want to see the remaining ink level aswell. I've read that this printer has no way to reset the ink level after a refill... it won't show you the actual level, no matter what you do. The only way to do this is to buy a new cartrige.

Someone told me that for this printer there are some cartrige shaped bottles with a filling cap on top of it, and those bottles has some sort of auto-reset chips. If this is true, can someone give me a link?

Thanks a lot guys!
Every help and idea is appreciated! :)

First of all, dont bump posts, against forum rules.

There is a reason they have chips and leave a little in the cartridges., so the heads don't dry up. Would you rather replace the cartridge when it says to? or replace the whole printer when air gets into the print head? Most canon printers that have the clear ink cartridge, use LED and light sensor to tell when the ink is out, so there is no way round it. If there is no ink at a certain pont, light shines through to the receiver, and says ink out.
Yes you can get external ink systems for some printers, any aftermarket cartridge/ink carries risk as it was never designed by the printer manufacturer and may damage/block the heads.

khrystyan27

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
I've fully refilled the ink cartrige, and the error persists, so it's not a problem related to the way that the printer reads the ink level... It's just an annoying error that's pushing you to buy their cartriges instead of refilling them.

Any other ideea is highly appreciated... :)

well if its full, then its the chip thats either buggered, or not reset correctly. Just to clarify, companies want you to use their cartridges because it has gotten to the point that they make $0 or in the minus with the initial sale of the consumer model line, and they can only make that back with ink sales. I think it was Lexmark that first did this, dirt cheap printers but pricier ink. They also ont want you refilling or using generic inks, because the ink formulation was never designed to be used with the printer, and can cause damage to the heads, and is generally not even the same colour. If you have ever read about how the companies make ink, it is made in a complete dust free, static free lab, and the ink is filtered down to a very low partacle size as to avoid clogging/damaging the print head. Generic inks are cheaper because they do not spare the time to formulate their ink for specific models, and they do not have as strict quality control. So as expensive as the genuine ink can be, you do get what you pay for.

khrystyan27

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
I've been using cheap ink since 2007, when I bought my first printer, a Canon MP160.

I've been using a 2L Generic Ink (with a Canon label) bottle for the black ink, and 3 x 100mL tri-collor universal ink for the collor ones, and the results are great (honestly). I just want to reset the freaking cartriges! There is no malfunction, it's designed like this so you buy their cartriges, and I'm looking for a method of reseting them...

ahmadbadokhon

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015

ahmadbadokhon

Reputable
Jun 15, 2015
hi

i read the maunal you can rest it but holding the cancel button for 5 seconds then let it go and it will reset if it gives you an error again do the same thing again hold for 5 seconds the cancel button and it should work below is support code 1688

The ink has run out. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)
Replace the ink tank and close the operation panel.

Replacing an Ink Tank

Printing under the current condition may damage the machine.

If you want to continue printing in this condition, you need to release the function for detecting the remaining ink level. Press and hold the machine's Stop button for at least 5 seconds, and then release it.

With this operation, releasing the function for detecting the remaining ink level is memorized.

Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any malfunction or trouble which may be caused by continuation of printing under the ink out condition.

Note
If the function for detecting the remaining ink level is disabled, the ink tank in grey is displayed in the remaining ink volume screen on the LCD.

Checking the Ink Status with the LCD on the Machine

Support Code
Cause
Action

If the lamp on the ink tank is flashing, ink may have run out.
Replacing the ink tank is recommended.

If printing is in progress and you want to continue printing, press the machine's OK button with the ink tank installed. Then printing can continue. Replacing the ink tank is recommended after the printing. The machine may be damaged if printing is continued under the ink out condition.

Replacing an Ink Tank

Note
If multiple ink lamp are flashing red, check the status of each ink tank.

Checking the Ink Status with the Ink Lamps

The print head may be damaged.
Contact the service center.

Some ink tanks are not installed in the correct position. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)
Confirm that the ink tanks are installed in the appropriate positions.

Replacing an Ink Tank

More than one ink tanks of the same color are installed. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)
Confirm that the ink tanks are installed in the appropriate positions.

Replacing an Ink Tank

The ink tank is not installed.
Install the ink tank.

Replacing an Ink Tank

The ink tank cannot be recognized.
Printing cannot be executed because the ink tank may not be installed properly or may not be compatible with this machine.

Install the appropriate ink tank.

If you want to cancel printing, press the machine's Stop button.

Replacing an Ink Tank

The ink tank cannot be recognized.
Open the operation panel and replace the ink tank which lamp is off.

Replacing an Ink Tank

The ink has run out. (The lamp on the ink tank flashes.)
Replace the ink tank and close the operation panel.

Replacing an Ink Tank

Printing under the current condition may damage the machine.

If you want to continue printing in this condition, you need to release the function for detecting the remaining ink level. Press and hold the machine's Stop button for at least 5 seconds, and then release it.

With this operation, releasing the function for detecting the remaining ink level is memorized.

Please be advised that Canon shall not be liable for any malfunction or trouble which may be caused by continuation of printing under the ink out condition.

Note
If the function for detecting the remaining ink level is disabled, the ink tank in grey is displayed in the remaining ink volume screen on the LCD.

Checking the Ink Status with the LCD on the Machine

The ink absorber is almost full.
Press the machine's OK button to continue printing. Contact the service center.

5B00

5B12

5B14
Printer error has occurred.

Failed to scan head alignment sheet.
Scanning the print head alignment sheet has failed.

Press the OK button to dismiss the error, then take the actions described below.

Make sure that the print head alignment sheet is set in the correct position and orientation on the platen glass.

Make sure the platen glass and the print head alignment sheet are not dirty.

Make sure the type and size of loaded paper is suitable for Automatic Print Head Alignment. For Automatic Print Head Alignment, always load one sheet of A4 or Letter-sized plain paper.

Make sure if print head nozzles are clogged. Print the nozzle check pattern to check the status of the print head.

Printing the Nozzle Check Pattern

If the error is not resolved, connect the machine to the computer and align the print head on the printer driver. Open the printer driver setup window, check the Align heads manually check box in the Custom Settings dialog box, then adjust the print head position.

B200
An error requiring you to contact the service center has occurred.
Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

Cancel printing, turn off the machine. Then clear the jammed paper or protective material that is preventing the print head holder from moving, and turn on the machine again.

Important
Be careful not to touch the components inside the machine. The machine may not print out properly if you touch it.

If the problem is not resolved, contact the service center.

C000
Turn off the machine, and unplug the power cord of the machine from the power supply.

Plug the machine back in and turn the machine back on.

If the problem is not resolved, contact the service center.

Page top

khrystyan27

Reputable
Feb 18, 2015
Well, no... This hasn't solved my problem.

Pressing cancel button for 5 or more seconds will only disable the device ink level reading function, and it will NOT reset the ink level reading. :(

casey1947

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

have a look at this webside it may help. they have tools to reset chips for most printer but with some cannon printers you only have to push the stop button or the ok button
http://inkbank.com.au/category55_1.htm