Canon S1 IS - feeback

Howdy,

Has anyone had any experience using the Canon PowerShot S1 IS, 3.2 megapixel
digital camera? My wife and I are looking to purchase a new camera and
almost ever review I have read so far says it's a very nice camera
considering it has the image stabilization as well as a terrific movie mode
feature. The 10x optical zoom is also very very nice. The camera seems to
have just been released in march so there's really a very limited review on
dpreview.com.

I currently own a Nikon coolpix 950 and am very disappointed with the lag
time between taking photos as well as it's ultra horrible AF feature.

I have budgeted $700 dollars to purchase a new camera and was hoping that
someone could offer some possible other digital camera choices.

Best Regards,

rise4peace

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

<no_spam_4me_rise4peace@comcast.net> wrote in message news:y7-dnU8Tbem5UODdRVn-ug@comcast.com...
> Howdy,
>
> Has anyone had any experience using the Canon PowerShot S1 IS, 3.2 megapixel
> digital camera? My wife and I are looking to purchase a new camera and
> almost ever review I have read so far says it's a very nice camera
> considering it has the image stabilization as well as a terrific movie mode
> feature. The 10x optical zoom is also very very nice. The camera seems to
> have just been released in march so there's really a very limited review on
> dpreview.com.
>
> I currently own a Nikon coolpix 950 and am very disappointed with the lag
> time between taking photos as well as it's ultra horrible AF feature.
>
> I have budgeted $700 dollars to purchase a new camera and was hoping that
> someone could offer some possible other digital camera choices.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> rise4peace

We got our S1 IS a few days ago and so far we're very impressed.
Its movie mode and feature set are phenomenal. But, our Sony
F717 runs rings around the S1 in some respects. AF is *much*
faster on the F717, and the S1's AF in essentially useless in low
light situations because of its lack of an assist lamp.

If you do a lot of indoor and/or low light shooting, you might want
to look into the F717 instead. Prices for it have come down to
around $700.

Regards,
Rick

Have you read the review at my favorite site for reviews:
www.dcresource.com?
Richard

no_spam_4me_rise4peace@comcast.net typed:

> Howdy,
>
> Has anyone had any experience using the Canon PowerShot S1 IS, 3.2
> megapixel digital camera? My wife and I are looking to purchase a new
> camera and almost ever review I have read so far says it's a very
> nice camera considering it has the image stabilization as well as a
> terrific movie mode feature. The 10x optical zoom is also very very
> nice. The camera seems to have just been released in march so there's
> really a very limited review on dpreview.com.
>
> I currently own a Nikon coolpix 950 and am very disappointed with the
> lag time between taking photos as well as it's ultra horrible AF
> feature.
>
> I have budgeted $700 dollars to purchase a new camera and was hoping
> that someone could offer some possible other digital camera choices.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> rise4peace

dcresource has full review of it.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml

I bought it a few weeks ago and i'm also impressed. Image Stabilizer
function works even better as they claim. In fact, now i see that you can't
shoot with ANY camera with so big zoom from hand without IS. No way.
However, as Rick says, it does have a bit problems with low light focusing,
but i solved this perfectly with hand laser pointer. Just insert one of
filters in the laser, point into object (not in the eyes, though!) for a
moment and you can shoot in total darkness if you wish.
I'm not sorry for buying it, And i'd do it again. If not else, because of IS
function. I hope you saw this movie, which shows difference between IS on
and off. Check out:

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:f9Xfc.1078$37.145584@news.siol.net...
> dcresource has full review of it.
>
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/index.shtml
>
> I bought it a few weeks ago and i'm also impressed. Image Stabilizer
> function works even better as they claim. In fact, now i see that you can't
> shoot with ANY camera with so big zoom from hand without IS. No way.
> However, as Rick says, it does have a bit problems with low light focusing,
> but i solved this perfectly with hand laser pointer. Just insert one of
> filters in the laser, point into object (not in the eyes, though!) for a
> moment and you can shoot in total darkness if you wish.
> I'm not sorry for buying it, And i'd do it again. If not else, because of IS
> function. I hope you saw this movie, which shows difference between IS on
> and off. Check out:
>
> http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/canon/powershot_s1-review/is.mov

Sleeper, can you give some specifics on which laser and filter
you're using? Are you attaching the laser to the S1 IS?
Sounds like a great idea.

Thanks,
Rick

> We got our S1 IS a few days ago and so far we're very impressed.
> Its movie mode and feature set are phenomenal. But, our Sony
> F717 runs rings around the S1 in some respects. AF is *much*
> faster on the F717, and the S1's AF in essentially useless in low
> light situations because of its lack of an assist lamp.
>
> If you do a lot of indoor and/or low light shooting, you might want
> to look into the F717 instead. Prices for it have come down to
> around $700.

For under $650, I got an S1 IS, 4 nimh batteries and a charger, and a 40x
512MB Compact Flash card. I think, for the money, that the S1 IS is a
great purchase. The AF is piss-poor though (as mentioned). It's not
great for quick shots indoors in low light. It does have a manual focus
option, with focus bracketing (takes 3 shots - one focused more distant
than the manual focus setting, one at the focus point, and one focused
closer), but it's still a workaround.

That said, it's the only camera available right now that has all of the
qualities I was looking for - VGA 30fps movie mode, Compact Flash
storage, AA batteries, and monster zoom. And, when focused, it *does*
take a very nice picture.

John