Canon S1 IS: Maximum CF Card Size

Is there a maximum size compact flash card that can be used with the Canon
S1 IS (i.e. 1 GB, 2 GB or even 4 GB)? Also, is there any noticeable
difference in photo and/or movie image quality between the standard CF cards
and the Ultra or Elite versions?

Thanks.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:lQtPc.5576$AY5.4482@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com...
> Is there a maximum size compact flash card that can be used with the Canon
> S1 IS (i.e. 1 GB, 2 GB or even 4 GB)?

Not practically. It supports FAT32 and can use any current
Type1 or Type2 card -- even 8GB.

> Also, is there any noticeable
> difference in photo and/or movie image quality between the standard CF cards
> and the Ultra or Elite versions?

You'll need a card with a write speed of 1.2MB/s (8x) or higher,
otherwise you'll have problems with the S1's movie mode. We
use Sandisk Ultra II in ours and have never had a problem.

Rick

Rick typed:

> "Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Is there a maximum size compact flash card that can be used with the
>> Canon S1 IS (i.e. 1 GB, 2 GB or even 4 GB)?
>
> Not practically. It supports FAT32 and can use any current
> Type1 or Type2 card -- even 8GB.
>
>> Also, is there any noticeable
>> difference in photo and/or movie image quality between the standard
>> CF cards and the Ultra or Elite versions?
>
> You'll need a card with a write speed of 1.2MB/s (8x) or higher,
> otherwise you'll have problems with the S1's movie mode. We
> use Sandisk Ultra II in ours and have never had a problem.
>
> Rick

Theoretically 8x is a bit too slow - if you use standard compression, about
1.4 M is required, and for finest quality, about 1.8 M

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:ievPc.906$F6.180237@news.siol.net...
> Rick typed:
>
> > "Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >> Is there a maximum size compact flash card that can be used with the
> >> Canon S1 IS (i.e. 1 GB, 2 GB or even 4 GB)?
> >
> > Not practically. It supports FAT32 and can use any current
> > Type1 or Type2 card -- even 8GB.
> >
> >> Also, is there any noticeable
> >> difference in photo and/or movie image quality between the standard
> >> CF cards and the Ultra or Elite versions?
> >
> > You'll need a card with a write speed of 1.2MB/s (8x) or higher,
> > otherwise you'll have problems with the S1's movie mode. We
> > use Sandisk Ultra II in ours and have never had a problem.
> >
> > Rick
>
> Theoretically 8x is a bit too slow - if you use standard compression, about
> 1.4 M is required, and for finest quality, about 1.8 M

I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
you get your info?

Rick

Rick typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Rick typed:
>>
>>> "Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Not practically. It supports FAT32 and can use any current
>>> Type1 or Type2 card -- even 8GB.

>>> You'll need a card with a write speed of 1.2MB/s (8x) or higher,
>>> otherwise you'll have problems with the S1's movie mode. We
>>> use Sandisk Ultra II in ours and have never had a problem.
>>>
>>> Rick
>>
>> Theoretically 8x is a bit too slow - if you use standard
>> compression, about
>> 1.4 M is required, and for finest quality, about 1.8 M
>
> I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
> you get your info?
>
> Rick

In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
size of pictures...etc...
then:
movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980 KB/sec,
while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to write
down, too. So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and movie will
eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast enough card (Photo
Steno PRO).

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:tZwPc.908$F6.181054@news.siol.net...
> Rick typed:
>
> > "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
> >> Rick typed:

> >> Theoretically 8x is a bit too slow - if you use standard
> >> compression, about
> >> 1.4 M is required, and for finest quality, about 1.8 M
> >
> > I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
> > you get your info?
> >
> > Rick
>
> In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
> size of pictures...etc...
> then:
> movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980 KB/sec,
> while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
> So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to write
> down, too.

Movie clips are written in compressed AVI format. The rates
you give are uncompressed bitrates.

> So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and movie will
> eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast enough card (Photo
> Steno PRO).

Try it. It works fine.

Rick

>> I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
>> you get your info?
>>
>> Rick
>
> In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
> size of pictures...etc...
> then:
> movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980
> KB/sec, while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
> So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to
> write down, too. So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and
> movie will eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast
> enough card (Photo Steno PRO).

Oh, and another thing: you said you use Sandisk Ultra...that's not 8x card,
but way faster---and more expensive than 8x one, too.

Rick

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003

"SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message news:p4xPc.910$F6.181281@news.siol.net...
> >> I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
> >> you get your info?
> >>
> >> Rick
> >
> > In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
> > size of pictures...etc...
> > then:
> > movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980
> > KB/sec, while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
> > So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to
> > write down, too. So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and
> > movie will eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast
> > enough card (Photo Steno PRO).
>
> Oh, and another thing: you said you use Sandisk Ultra...that's not 8x card,

I never said it was.

> but way faster---and more expensive than 8x one, too.

Yep.

Rick

"Guy Quinn" <orgnlgq@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:lQtPc.5576
> Also, is there any noticeable
> difference in photo and/or movie image quality between the standard CF
cards
> and the Ultra or Elite versions?

Not in quality but in write speed. The faster cards will be, well, faster.
Richard

Rick typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message
>> Rick typed:
>>
>>> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> I'm going by what I was told by Canon Labs. Where did
>>> you get your info?
>>>
>>> Rick
>>
>> In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
>> size of pictures...etc...
>> then:
>> movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980
>> KB/sec, while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
>> So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to
>> write down, too.
>
> Movie clips are written in compressed AVI format. The rates
> you give are uncompressed bitrates.
>
>> So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and movie will
>> eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast enough card
>> (Photo Steno PRO).
>
> Try it. It works fine.
>
> Rick

DId you ever study math? Try to calculate: in 640x480 @30 fps normal
comrpession you can have 2 min 53 sec of movie on 256M card. If space
consumption is as i told you, then 2 minutes gives you 120 second, add 53
and you get173 seconds. Now, add 1.44 M(size per second) with 173 and you
get 249.12M that's a full 256M CF card. I believe you must studied this kind
of math in 1 class...right?

Or maybe you meant that camera compress data and then when data come on the
CF card, CF card itself uncompress it again...? it's just a small
problem...CF card doesn't contain any CPU to be able to do that...

Just make sure before you write a wrong thing...

The truth is however that more or less all 8x cards are in fact faster that
8x, and that's why normally movie works OK with such cards. After all, card
must be just a bit faster than 8x (1.44 instead of 1.2).

Rick typed:

> "SleeperMan" <SleeperMan@too.sleepy> wrote in message

>>> In Canon manual. It clearly says(at the end) :
>>> size of pictures...etc...
>>> then:
>>> movie mode: 640x480 30 fps fine q=1440 KB/sec, superfine q=1980
>>> KB/sec, while 320x240 at 30 fps needs 660 KB/Sec.
>>> So, if this is what camera records, i guess this is what it needs to
>>> write down, too. So, that's why theoretically, 8x CF is too slow and
>>> movie will eventually stop. But, i never tried, since i have fast
>>> enough card (Photo Steno PRO).
>>
>> Oh, and another thing: you said you use Sandisk Ultra...that's not
>> 8x card,
>
> I never said it was.

true. But you statement was a bit confusing, since you told "you need 8x CF
card or faster...." then in the same sentence "we use Sandisk Ultra and
never have any problems"...sure you don't since you use faster card...
It's just not camparable. I mean, i use faster card, and i clearly sated so.
That's why i wrote that i never tried 8x card, so i can't tell if it works
or not. I believe if you can make a dealer to give you a card just to try
it's perfect, since if ti works, you can get through pretty cheap. After
all, 8x cards are very cheap. However, it's still a pitty if you'd buy one
and it wouldn't work...

Oh, and another thing:
did you ever try to edit one of the clips, shot with S1? They ARE
compressed - uncompressed size of 2 min 53 sec movie, originally from Camera
was 247.829 M size, uncompressed avi format comes 4.8 G long....