Question Can't access other PC's on network. DNS Client is disabled and greyed-out ?

CalScot

Commendable
Nov 16, 2021
Windows updated this morning. Took over an hour with four or five restarts. Now it's version 21H1 (19043.1586).

I have three PC's on the same small local network but now from this PC, I can see the other two PC's in the Network folder but cannot access their public folders. (This PC can't even see itself listed in the Network folder.)

The other two PC's can see the Public folder on this PC and access files on it.
All this worked seamlessly yesterday.

FWIW DNS client is disabled and greyed out. Nothing I have done has allowed me to enable it. I've tried Regedit and services. Keep getting error 1058.

(I have tried the suggestions found here. No luck.
)

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Hopefully just some minor configuration error.

Try running the built in Microsoft troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Likewise try running "sfc /scannow" and "dism".

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

How to use DISM command tool to repair Windows 10 image | Windows Central

Also: stay out of the Registry.

Registry editing is a last resort and should only be attempted after full system and registry backups have been made and tested.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO probably something got messed up during the update. Would probably consider downloading the newest build to USB installer on MS site and do a clean install. Possibly less trouble than chasing this around, of course depending on your backups and availability of keys to installed programs and such. sfc/dism has rarely worked for me to be honest.

You might could try to roll back to the previous version where it was operational.