Can't Boot From DVD ROM Drive

I downloaded the SuSE Linux 9.2 DVD iso image and burned it to DVD.

This is the first time I've ever burned an iso image to a DVD, so I
never had a reason/need to boot from the DVD drive before....good thing
I didn't, because I can't!

I checked my BIOS (Award 6.00PG with GIGABYTE GA-8IDML F5a motherboard)
and there is no CD/DVD boot option - just CDROM. I tried every
combination possible and no luck.

I hope this is just something stupid I'm missing. I looked online to try
to flash the bios and maybe then get a CD/DVD boot device option but I
figured I'd better ask here first as I have never flashed a BIOS before
and I don't want to risk it.

mark

Ian

mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom) wrote:
> I downloaded the SuSE Linux 9.2 DVD iso image and burned it to DVD.
>
> This is the first time I've ever burned an iso image to a DVD, so I
> never had a reason/need to boot from the DVD drive before....good
> thing I didn't, because I can't!
>
> I checked my BIOS (Award 6.00PG with GIGABYTE GA-8IDML F5a
> motherboard) and there is no CD/DVD boot option - just CDROM. I tried
> every combination possible and no luck.
>
> I hope this is just something stupid I'm missing. I looked online to
> try to flash the bios and maybe then get a CD/DVD boot device option
> but I figured I'd better ask here first as I have never flashed a
> BIOS before and I don't want to risk it.
>
> mark

To possibly save yourself a headache, try booting from an XP CD or something
just to make sure it's not as simple as the Linux CD not actually being
bootable!

Ian wrote:
> mark (sixstringtheoryDOTcom) wrote:
>
>>I downloaded the SuSE Linux 9.2 DVD iso image and burned it to DVD.
>>
>>This is the first time I've ever burned an iso image to a DVD, so I
>>never had a reason/need to boot from the DVD drive before....good
>>thing I didn't, because I can't!
>>
>>I checked my BIOS (Award 6.00PG with GIGABYTE GA-8IDML F5a
>>motherboard) and there is no CD/DVD boot option - just CDROM. I tried
>>every combination possible and no luck.
>>
>>I hope this is just something stupid I'm missing. I looked online to
>>try to flash the bios and maybe then get a CD/DVD boot device option
>>but I figured I'd better ask here first as I have never flashed a
>>BIOS before and I don't want to risk it.
>>
>>mark
>

> To possibly save yourself a headache, try booting from an XP CD or something
> just to make sure it's not as simple as the Linux CD not actually being
> bootable!

Thanks Ian - sure enough, that's what it was. I feel like an idiot! I
have not burned many CDs/DVDs before (never really had the need to), so
I screwed up in burning the image to DVD.

After reading your post and thinking I didn't want to go through another
burning of a DVD (and certainly didn't want to re-download the 3.2gb
iso image) I just downloaded the mini SuSE installation, which is 64mb
and runs from CD. It booted up and then it had a "check CD/DVD" type
option, so I put the DVD in and sure enough it said it was bad. Probably
the fact that, when burning the DVD image, I had it burning at 12x (on
media rated for 10x max), and had Firefox and Thunderbird open and
surfing the web at the same time while it was burning - I'm sure this is
what screwed up the image.

So I burned it this time at 2x and didn't use the PC while it was
burning and it worked fine. SuSE installed and configured in about 45
minutes. Nice OS.

Now I just have to figure out how to work the one program I need from
Windows - Money 2005 (or Quicken 2004), using Wine.

Thanks again,

mark
www.sixstringtheory.com

kam186

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006

I downloaded the SuSE Linux 9.2 DVD iso image and burned it to DVD.

This is the first time I've ever burned an iso image to a DVD, so I
never had a reason/need to boot from the DVD drive before....good thing
I didn't, because I can't!

I checked my BIOS (Award 6.00PG with GIGABYTE GA-8IDML F5a motherboard)
and there is no CD/DVD boot option - just CDROM. I tried every
combination possible and no luck.

I hope this is just something stupid I'm missing. I looked online to try
to flash the bios and maybe then get a CD/DVD boot device option but I
figured I'd better ask here first as I have never flashed a BIOS before
and I don't want to risk it.

mark

kam186

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2006
GA-8IDML motherboard having problem to boot from DVD. But CD is ok.
Eventhough upgrade bios to F9.
There is nothing to do with your DVD writer or DVD disc.
But why this happen, I also can not figure out !

Regards,
Kam