[SOLVED] Can't boot from my 970 Evo NVME M.2 SSD on ASRock Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 Motherboard

PhoenicianWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
I used a cloning software to clone my 850 Evo SSD which has my Windows 10 OS on it to my new Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD, but I cannot boot from the 970 Evo. I installed the driver for the 970 Evo on Samsung's website as well. When I manage to select the boot override to boot from the 970 Evo I get an error saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What do I need to do to be able to boot from my NVME M.2 SSD?

Solution
I would still like to be able to clone over my 850 instead of manually doing the process if possible.
Just redo cloning and use bcdboot command to fix bootloader as suggested in post #24.

If you want to make 970 evo bootable, then you have to create bootloader partition on it manually.
It is done this way:
1. Make enough free space for new bootloader partition by shrinking existing partition on the drive. 500MB is enough.
Then create a new partition.
For UEFI system (GPT disk) create Efi system, fat32 formatted partition.​
For legacy boot system (MBR disk) create primary, active, NTFS formatted partition.​
2. Then use bcdboot comand to create bootloader files on the partition.
I used a cloning software to clone my 850 Evo SSD which has my Windows 10 OS on it to my new Samsung 970 EVO Plus Series PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD, but I cannot boot from the 970 Evo. I installed the driver for the 970 Evo on Samsung's website as well. When I manage to select the boot override to boot from the 970 Evo I get an error saying "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". What do I need to do to be able to boot from my NVME M.2 SSD?
If both disk can be connected at the same time boot from the 850.
Open disk management.
Does the 850 and the 970 look the same?

USAFRet

Titan
What software did you use?
If you return the system back to original config, without the 970, does it boot up?

PhoenicianWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
No boot after clone.
I had that happen to me once.
The fix was to update the intel management engine driver.....ymmv.
A screen shot of disk management with both disk attached would be nice.
Exactly, no boot after clone. The drive is recognized by my PC, shows in disk management as well as in the BIOS, but I get that reboot error when attempting to boot from the 970.
How to update exactly? Not sure where to look in disk management for that.
View: https://imgur.com/ayLBe6S

PhoenicianWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
The 2TB (F drive) is the new 970?

If you remove the 970, does the system boot up properly?

If so, redo this clone thing.
This time, use the Samsung Data Migration tool.
And, before running it, install the Samsung drive for the 970.
Yes, the 2TB is the 970.
The system boots fine through the 850, just doesnt boot through the 970.
I'll give the Samsung Migration Tool a try.
I already installed the Samsung NVME Controller from my 850, it shows in Device Manager under Storage Controllers.

USAFRet

Titan
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

(Skip this if using the SDM. It does this automatically)
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
(End skip)

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

PhoenicianWarrior

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2013
You can add another bootloader entry with command (from elevated command prompt):
bcdboot F:\windows

Shutdown and disconnect 850 evo after doing this.
Boot priority settings in BIOS do not need to be changed.

Is it necessary to disconnect the 850? I would like to keep it and reformat it as a storage drive.