Question Can't boot from SSD without CSM enabled/Secure Boot not working

dhmolson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
For some reason, I can't boot from my SSD which has Windows installed on it unless I have CSM enabled in my motherboard's UEFI settings.

I believe this is preventing secure boot from enabling properly, which is preventing me from updating to Windows 11 due to the secure boot requirement. I'd like to go ahead and update to Windows 11 because time is running out for support for Windows 10 and I just want to go ahead and get the update out of the way.

Does anyone know what I need to do in order to get secure boot working properly so I can update to Windows 11?

Lutfij

Titan
First off, please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you installed the OS while you had CSM enabled, you will need to reinstall the OS with your BIOS set to UEFI. Just an FYI, if your platform is activated using a Windows 10 license key, you should be able to install Windows 11 after creating a bootable USB installer for the OS without a hitch. If you end up upgrading to Windows 11 through the internal upgrade path, then you will need to reinstall Windows 11 to avoid any mishaps with your OS as the internal upgrade path tends to go sideways for pretty much anyone.

dhmolson

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2016
First off, please pass on the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

If you installed the OS while you had CSM enabled, you will need to reinstall the OS with your BIOS set to UEFI. Just an FYI, if your platform is activated using a Windows 10 license key, you should be able to install Windows 11 after creating a bootable USB installer for the OS without a hitch. If you end up upgrading to Windows 11 through the internal upgrade path, then you will need to reinstall Windows 11 to avoid any mishaps with your OS as the internal upgrade path tends to go sideways for pretty much anyone.
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
CPU cooler: Corsair - iCue H150i Elite Capellix
Motherboard: Asus B550-Plus, UEFI BIOS Ver. 2.20.1271
Ram: 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) Geil Super Luce
SSD/HDD: Drive with Windows 10 installed on it: MKNSSDSR250GB
Other SSD/HDDs:
-Predator SSD GM7000 2TB
-ST4000DM000-1F2168
-WDC WD10EZEX-00KUWA0
-WDS100T3X0C-00SJG0
-WD_BLACK External Hard Drive
GPU: Nvidia RTX 4070
PSU: Without disassembling my PC to tell you with 100% certainty what the PSU is, I believe it is a Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W which is rated 80 Plus Gold. It is about 10 years old.
Chassis: NZXT H440
Monitor: Primary- Asus VG27AQ Secondary- Dell S2721HGF Third- LG 25UM58-P

So you're saying if I create a bootable USB for Windows 11 I should be able to upgrade that way without having to screw around with CSM or other BIOS settings?