Jun 21, 2021
I recently built a new Pc and ended up installing windows on an HDD first as I wanted to get it up and running and figured I could make a new boot drive pretty easily. I've resolved issues with my SSD not being recognized in the BIOS and installing windows but now when I put the SSD as first in the boot order I get a message that says reboot and select proper boot device which I'm not sure how to fix or whether something is faulty. The SSD is the Samsung 860 Evo and mobo x570 tomahawk wifi.

A few things I've tried already:

- setting the partition windows is on as active

-reinstalling windows

-reset bios settings by taking out CMOS battery for a little while

I've tried these both when I have my HDD plugged in and when unplugged and now I just have no idea what to do next.

Solution
Spam F8 at boot or whatever the boot device selection key is on your motherboard's BIOS and see if your SSD's Windows install shows up. Some BIOSes also have a list you can directly select what device to boot to from the config screen under the boot priority screen.

If the BIOS cannot find your boot partition, it cannot boot into it.
Jun 21, 2021
When you installed win 10 on the SSD, did you disconnect the HDD ? If not the boot partition probably ended on the HDD.
I would disconnect the HDD, and reinstall from USB stick on the SSD

I've tried that as well but I still get the message that says reboot and select proper boot device afterwards.

InvalidError

Titan
Spam F8 at boot or whatever the boot device selection key is on your motherboard's BIOS and see if your SSD's Windows install shows up. Some BIOSes also have a list you can directly select what device to boot to from the config screen under the boot priority screen.

If the BIOS cannot find your boot partition, it cannot boot into it.

Solution