Question Can't boot Lenovo IdeaPad Slim from bootable USB drive

MrYossu

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2013
I have a Lenovo Slim 1-11AST-05 Laptop (ideapad) - Type 81VR (specs can be seen here) which has a cranky installation of Windows 10.

I would like to reinstall from scratch and get a clean OS. Ideally, I'd like to install the lightest version of Windows I can, as the lap top has a very low spec (AMD A4-9120e and only 4Gb RAM), but am not sure what would work.

I created a bootable Win10 USB drive, and tried restarting the lap top with that plugged in, but when it got to the Lenovo log, I just got a busy indicator which sat there until I restarted the machine.

I checked the BIOS, and it is set to boot from the USB if there is one...

240912LenovoBIOS.jpg

...however, it won't boot from this USB.

I tried creating a bootable Win7 USB drive, but the lap top completely ignored that and booted back into the Win10 installation on the hard drive.

I don't know if changing the boot mode from UEFI to legacy would help, but I'm nervous about trying this, as the only way I can get into the BIOS is by going to to the Win10 log-in screen and holding down Shift while I click the power icon. All attempts at entering the BIOS by pressing function keys when the device is restarting were ignored.

Anyone able to advise? I'd like the slimmest version of Windows I can on here. I only need it to run one specific piece of software (Windows only, so can't install Linux).

Thanks