Question Thermal paste and CMOS battery on PS3 Console ?

Sep 12, 2024
I replaced the thermal paste on my PS3 Super Slim. Tested it, it’s working fine except it asks me to set date and time on every boot. Is this because the CMOS battery is dead?

I don’t mind changing it but the thermal paste I used was only ‘used’ for 30mins when I tested the console. So I was wondering if I change the battery and re-use the fresh paste by just re-spreading it over the chips, would that be okay?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Tested it, it’s working fine except it asks me to set date and time on every boot. Is this because the CMOS battery is dead?
Probable, see if replacing the CMOS battery with a fresh cell helps alleviate the issue.

So I was wondering if I change the battery and re-use the fresh paste by just re-spreading it over the chips, would that be okay?
If it's thermal paste and not pads, then yes you will need to reapply the thermal paste after removing it with isopropyl alcohol. Reusing thermal paste can and will introduce bubbles on the surface's that are meant to be sitting flush to ensure max thermal contact, this will result ion higher temps. That's the reasoning behind cleaning the paste off. How much thermal paste did you use anyway?

Sep 12, 2024
Thanks for a warm welcome!
The amount and wastage of thermal paste is my biggest worry aside from the $$$ for buying more:sweatsmile:. I had a new 2g Cryofuze that I used half of on the CPU and GPU.

I don't feel comfortable creating an account just for posting pictures so I'm sharing the link to the same question I asked on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/consolerepair/comments/1fdkz62/ps3_super_slim_maintenance_and_cmos_battery/

I'm not sure if the remaining paste I have would be enough for the reapplication...