[SOLVED] cant boot my pc, but can use bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Not sure if this is the right category, but i will give it a try.

I built a new system from scratch (even built my own case of oak), with these components:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
Cooler: NZXT Kraken x42
Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus Ultra x570
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance RGB PRO - DDR4 - 16 GB: 2 x 8 GB - DIMM 288-pin
Storage: Samsung 970 Pro 512 GB M2 SSD
PSU: Corsair RM750x
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC white 8 Gb
Screen: ASUS 34" Skjermer ROG SWIFT PG348Q (connected with 5 m DP cable)
Case fans: 4x Noctua NF-A14 ULN 140 mm (conntected to a single fan connector on motherboard).

When I installed the system i had a lot of issues, but somehow i managed to get windows installed on my m2 drive. Worked for a couple of weeks (but had a couple of bluescreens), then my computer would not boot into windows any more.

It will pass all q-leds, i can access bios, but whatever i try to load off (m2, bootable USB, sata ssd) it will reboot once past POST. All HW checks on motherboard seems fine, doesnt stop at any q-leds.

Tried swapping ram and PSU from another computer, no difference. I then sent my motherboard back and bought a new one (had ASUS, now Gigabyte), same symptoms. If there is something bootable installed (USB, m2, anything) it will restart once the post is done and the gigabyte logo disappears.

I have tried all bios settings i can think off and internet searches could help me with. I enables secure boot and restored keys to factory defaults, all of a sudden i could install from usb drive, but when the computer restarted the problem was back again, cant get past post.

Have been HW troubleshooting for like 3 weeks now, and starting to get tired ;) Could this be a troubled CPU? Or is it just some weird bios setting i need to change?`It seems so unlikely that it would be a hw issue when i am able to install windows 10 and then nothing works again when i restart? There is never unstability issues in BIOS, not sure what kind of hw needs to be operational for this to be possible.

Any suggestions would help, need my computer in these corona times ;)

Last edited:

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Tried all the RAM modules individually, and tried RAM i know is working from another computer, same symptom. When booting from usb with linux i managed to get memtest86 started in the boot menu, ran for almost 4 hours and found no errors.

When booting from linux usb is restarts after a few seconds, but this error message blinks briefly on screen before it happens.

Tried all the RAM modules individually, and tried RAM i know is working from another computer, same symptom. When booting from usb with linux i managed to get memtest86 started in the boot menu, ran for almost 4 hours and found no errors.

When booting from linux usb is restarts after a few seconds, but this error message blinks briefly on screen before it happens.

Have you tried updating to the latest BIOS?

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
When the q-leds on the motherboard doesnt stop on any of the hw lights (cpu pass, dram pass, vga pass, boot lights up and then it restarts the whole thing, unless i press del and go to bios), can it still be something wrong with the cpu?

Jan 10, 2020
Make sure your ram is on the compatibility list of your motherboard. Just go to the manifacturers website and search for your mobo. It's a long shot since you used two different mobos but still worth a try.

InvalidError

Titan
Since memtest86 says everything is fine there, a memory issue is unlikely though four hours would be too short for my liking. I've had at least one instance where it took much longer than that to get a first error so I usually run it overnight for 10+ hours whenever I get new DIMMs.

Exceptions can happen due to anything with direct access to the CPU/RAM, so it could be caused by any PCIe device, GPUs, chipset, VRM, etc. Here, it appears the APIC got triggered by something it has no idea what to do with. Could be that the wrong driver initialized something it shouldn't have or that a defective device got the APIC in an invalid state. Remove or disable all non-essential hardware and see if that helps.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Make sure your ram is on the compatibility list of your motherboard. Just go to the manifacturers website and search for your mobo. It's a long shot since you used two different mobos but still worth a try.

My RAM is not on the compatibility list. Have tried using the RAM from my working computer as well, same symptoms.

Is not on compatibility list the same as "will not work"?

InvalidError

Titan
Is not on compatibility list the same as "will not work"?
The QVL is a list of configurations guaranteed to work by the manufacturer. It is a tiny subset of all possible working configurations. Almost any RAM configuration that follows JEDEC specs should work, albeit with different degrees of manual tuning.

Usually, when DIMMs don't like a motherboard/CPU or vice-versa, you get no boot, crashes or bulk errors in memtest at least until you massaged timings, clocks and voltages to get it in a better place. Since you ran memtest86 for a few hours, it is highly unlikely your systematic crash has anything to do with memory as an intermittent memory error that slips through memtest86 would be extremely difficult to reproduce.

Since you reported the same crash no matter what memory configuration you tried, the cause must be something else.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Thanks for the clarification, did another test run with another memory kit, same result, so can't be the RAM.

On my second motherboard now, so gonne rule that one out as well.

Have tried swapping PSU and GPU as well, same result, so those are not the problem.

Disconnected anything that can be disconnected.

Dont have another Ryzen CPU, so swapping for testing is not an option. Are these error codes something i could use to determine if it's the cpu? I am kinda out of ideas and exhausted, have been pulling things in and out of this computer for weeks now ;)

InvalidError

Titan
Are these error codes something i could use to determine if it's the cpu?
The APIC is a part of the CPU that manages interruptions from devices and timers. There are three possible ways it can throw exceptions: defective CPU, defective device and buggy/corrupt/wrong drivers.

Since you sound like you have tried swapping just about everything other than the CPU, the last thing I can think of before swapping the CPU out would be to run an integrity check on your install media to make sure your install signature matches. If you have a corrupt install media, you are bound to run into install problems. I used to use DVD-RW discs for ISO installs and often ran into install failures due to bad burns.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
The APIC is a part of the CPU that manages interruptions from devices and timers. There are three possible ways it can throw exceptions: defective CPU, defective device and buggy/corrupt/wrong drivers.

Since you sound like you have tried swapping just about everything other than the CPU, the last thing I can think of before swapping the CPU out would be to run an integrity check on your install media to make sure your install signature matches. If you have a corrupt install media, you are bound to run into install problems. I used to use DVD-RW discs for ISO installs and often ran into install failures due to bad burns.

Have removed all media and have tried running a Linux distro from different usb sticks, I usually come to the boot menu but once I starts loading anything it restarts.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I got a new processor, and I could finally install windows 10. It is however so f... unstable i cant use it for <Mod Edit>. It crashes as soon as i start a program or try installing something, computer just restarts. I only have my m2 installed now (samsung).

It boots into windows on every try though, so thats a win ;)

It seems to be working fine in safe mode as well??

Last edited by a moderator:

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
I got a new processor, and I could finally install windows 10. It is however so f... unstable i cant use it for <Mod Edit>. It crashes as soon as i start a program or try installing something, computer just restarts. I only have my m2 installed now (samsung).

It boots into windows on every try though, so thats a win ;)

It seems to be working fine in safe mode as well??

Installed Windows 10 with MBR instead of GPT, seems to work just fine now?? Can i just leave it as MBR, or should i try and get it as GPT?

Last edited by a moderator:

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
One thing that jumps out at me is connecting 4 fans to a single motherboard header.
2 is normally ok, depending on the motherboard.

Since you built your own case, could you possibly have a grounding issue?

Have now put every fan on its on fan_header, and doesnt help. PC keeps restarting randomly, or just locks up.

I managed to start a game of apex legends, but capped at 60 fps. When i changed it to 100 fps in nvidia control panel, computer restarts when i start the game. But a lot of acitivty leads to restarts, so not sure how much i should put into that particular symptom.

About the grounding issue. It's a wooden case, but the back plate is aluminium where the offsets for the motherboard is placed. No other peace of metal is touching the components in any other places then the offsets.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
ok, I didnt mention in my specs that i am using a RISER CABLE!

Have now removed the motherboard from the case, installed the gpu withouth the riser cable, and it seems to be working now. With the riser cable I got 100% GPU spikes in Windows, without it everything flows and no restarts for about an hour.

So faulty CPU and now faulty Riser cable is the preliminary analysis (after two months ;) )

Will keep using the computer and see what happens.

intox_neb

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2006
Finally this thread can be marked as solved ;)

I had both a defective riser cable, and a defective CPU :oops:

But no worries, life is good, i can finally use my computer :) Thanks for the input from everyone who joined in!

Status
Not open for further replies.