Question Can't boot to debian. Stuck in EFI shell

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I had this server working and booting to debian (or atleast I remember it as debian) but ever since I moved I can't get it to boot. The farthest I get is the efi shell.
I have tried changing the sata mode.
Fast boot is off.
I tried changing the port on the motherboard.
Reseating the cmos did nothing.
The bios was already up to date but I tried that anyways.
I even took the drive out and put it in my main pc and I was able to boot to it on there. (but it had some network issue or something. I assume cause it was a different motherboard.)

Most recently I tried download boot-repair-disk by yannubuntu and it booted in legacy mode but told me to boot in uefi which then just takes me to the efi shell. Even if I go into the boot menu and select the flash drive it takes me to the shell.

I'm at a loss on what to do. Everything seems to function fine elsewise. (other than the pc not booting if the 10-fan fanhub is plugged into the psu but I'm assuming it just draws too much power)

Any suggestions? My motherboard is a msi z97 gaming 5 (repurposed from my old build)

The efi shell just shows a drive map but I can't get it to list the directories

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
check cables
I have checked the cables they are connected firmly. I tried moving sata ports too. I even just tried a different sata cable.
I do "mount fs0"
and it says success so then I type "fs0:" to move to that drive but when I do ls or dir it just says "Cannot open current directory - Not Found".
It does that for all the partitions.

khodex1997

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
I mounted all of the partitions and I was able to do do "cd efi\debian" and launch shimx64.efi then I did startx so now I am in. I just need to figure out how to install boot-repair