Cant boot to desktop

Nuttboy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Having problems booting into vista home premium 64. My Pc has been working fine until last night when the monitor lost signal. The keyboard lights and tower were all on but alas no picture.

When i restart, it posts, and gets to the Microsoft progress bar, just before the logo, and then the screen goes blank.

I can boot into safe mode and have tried system restore, and also start up repair from the installation disc, but no luck. From what i can see, its telling me that everything is working fine.

I'm thinking its virus related as Kapersky blocked a trojan just before it happened for the first time, but said it was disinfected. I have updated Windows recently as well as Firefox and Java.

Would appreciate any suggestions, as I obviously would prefer not to have to reformat :)

Thanks

manicmalki

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
try reinstalling your vid driver or you could use this command go to CMD run as Admin type sfc /scannow. This will check your core files. I know I say it a lob but it is one of the first steps to fixing a problem with such little info.

Nuttboy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Hi and thanks for the replies. I first tried a chkdsk scan with the relevant switches, but the problem still persists. I then performed the sfc scan which came back with 'no integrity violations'. Sorry if I did not provide much info malki, im kinda a newbie at this and still learning myself :)

Am just about to reinstall my vid driver...will post an update later...

agrant

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I may be totally off on this but what if it is loading and the virus that you thought you removed didn’t go. Try configuring your computer to bootlog, as you said you can get in to safe mode. Then check that to see if you have any odd named files or things out of place in the log that’s probably your best bet.

Nuttboy

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Update:

Im still having problems getting to desktop. I have tried sfc/scannow and chkdsk and also have created a bootlog file but everything is coming back fine. I have even taken it to the local pc shop and they said that everything is fine. I can only assume it is my monitor that is causing problems. But when i push the power button, it will display the POST and start showing the system startup. It even shows the Microsoft green progress bar just before it should show the vista logo before it goes blank. So i am at a loss as to what is going on.

I'll try a new monitor but if anyone has got any other suggestions in the meantime they will be greatly appreciated :)