Can't click on anything but the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheSinglePringle

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I can right click and left click and drag and launch items that are on my desktop already but thats its. I can pull up the start menu via keyboard but still cant click anything on it. Nothing will even highlight as my mouse goes over it. I can regain control by ctrl alt deleting and canceling it back to the desktop. I thought it was my mouse but it's for sure on windows' side right?

Other notes: When playing rocket league on controller, my camera will sometimes start looking backwards as if I am pressing down on the analog stick. And I will lose control of the clicking ability randomly.

Solution
What brand mouse is it?

Try this on desktop: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/create-a-command-prompt-shortcut-on-desktop.html
right click shortcut and open as admin

try these two commands: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93
see if that does anything.

you might want to do a reset
if you want to save anything from pc, press win key + e while on the desktop will open file exploder, copy files to usb or wherever. Reset will whipe steam games so copy folder somewhere so you can copy it back later - if you have a steam folder anyway.

TheSinglePringle

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

Windows 10 (Don't know exact version but I have no updates pending)
Cpu: i7-4770k
Gpu: 980ti
Mobo: msi gd65 z87
Ram: 8x8 gskill @ 2000mhz
Psu: Corsair 750w Silver cert.
Windows is on an ssd

Another thing I am finding out is that the loss of clicking is seeming to only happen on a restart. But my normal boot screen times are a little off and I can see my mouse right after my bios screen flashes, which is not normal for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What brand mouse is it?

Try this on desktop: http://www.isunshare.com/windows-8/create-a-command-prompt-shortcut-on-desktop.html

try these two commands: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

if you want to save anything from pc, press win key + e while on the desktop will open file exploder, copy files to usb or wherever. Reset will whipe steam games so copy folder somewhere so you can copy it back later - if you have a steam folder anyway.

Solution

TheSinglePringle

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014

I have run sfc on normal cmd and through powershell multiple times and nothing changes. My mouse is a razor naga, its a few years old. But could it be the mouse? Even though it moves and right clicks just fine on the desktop and not the taskbar? I will probably just do a system restore in an hour or two.

Just reset my pc, same problem still persists... I tried another mouse and get inconsistent results as far as complete responsiveness and none at all. I am running out of ideas here. The only piece of software that I have downloaded in the last week (the problem started last night) was prismatik. I deleted and uninstalled it a few days ago with no sign of these issues. Any ideas?

Trying another mouse has weird results. Every time I restart with a different mouse in, everything is fine (90% of the time). The other 10% of the time I can click on taskbar icons and open the start menu but cannot click on anything in the start menu. I think I'm going insane over here. If I switch to my original mouse after starting up with the different one, sometimes I maintain the ability to click and other times I do not. It's not my windows given that I just reinstalled it, but I kept my personal files but all apps and start up programs were gone. So it must be my mouse right? But then why are other mouses in different usb ports not working as well? AHHHHH HELP

Another update. So I am pretty positive that I regain my mouse control when I control alt delete because the screen swaps. Kinda like when you enter a game, your screen goes black. I regain my clicking ability when I double click on programs on my desktop that have administrative properties and force me to click on the yes or no button. The screen behind the yes or no buttons is dimmed, kind of the same concept as going into a game, see where I'm going? So is this a driver issue then? My gpu is up too date and so is my windows. Idk, someone please help me lol

TheSinglePringle

Reputable
Dec 15, 2014
I just found out that my scroll wheel is shorted out and is giving out the signal that it is being pushed down. Just hold your scroll wheel pushed in and that simulates what I was going through haha. I am 100% sure this is it as I have tested with other mice and my broken mouse on other computers and the results are conclusive. Thanks again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
If you had said you had a Razer mouse I would have said. what is it like without synapse? Their software seems have gone bad recently. Your might have been a bit of both, hardware and software. I had a razer mouse a few years ago but bought a Steelseries Sensei and never looked back - now only problem I have is their driver software on my pc doesn't see my mouse but that is ok, mouse has its own software built in.

just after i posted this, windows 10 tried to update synapse on my pc. One problem there, I don't have a Razer keyboard anymore, I stopped using it last month when the W key stopped working... so why is windows giving me the drivers still? I only mention as it was a big coincidence :)

Mar 21, 2023
What brand mouse is it?

try these two commands: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...em-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I still just wanted to say thank you.
I had no idea what was suddently going on with my mouse but the sfc scannow saved me.
I saw that you are still active and wish you a great day!

Reactions: Colif
Status
Not open for further replies.