[SOLVED] Can't Connect To A Certain Network of Multiple Networks

GrayWoolsey

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
So, I'm not too keen on networks and what everything stands for or why things are the way they are. I use a NetGear A6100 Wireless Adapter with a TP-Link WiFi extender in the hallway. In the NetGear software there are multiple networks in my home with the same name but they are all different and I will add a few pictures to show what I'm talking about but my problem lies in speed. One of the connections is faster then the others and doesn't drop connection randomly like the others do but I can't reliably connect to it. I'll sit there and smash away at the connect button in the NetGear software until randomly after 20-30 tries it decides to connect to this certain network. I'm not sure why it's faster and why it won't reliably connect to it.

These first two images are the network that my computer defaults to.
View: https://imgur.com/a/SG4k7Ya

View: https://imgur.com/a/Z41bnAF

These next two are the network that runs really fast and that it won't let me connect to.
View: https://imgur.com/a/icYL6OD

View: https://imgur.com/a/BHgjWLa

No error message pops up in the software when I try to connect. I'll click the connect button, press continue when it asks for a password. It will say Validating Information, disconnect me, then just reconnect to the first network that runs slow and drops connection periodically.

We use a Cox Panoramic Router.
Any help is appreciated and I can provide more information if need be, I'm just not sure what would be useful here.

Solution
Ok so the one it connects you too is router with a "n" setting, it is good for 230 feet and speeds up to 300mps at 2.5ghz and 5ghz signal. It is the signal that throws itself the farthest basically. The other ones are "ac" signal which transmit 130 feet at only 5ghz with a speed of up to 1gps. However 5ghz is easliy blocked and is a weaker signal at distance. So the ac signal is newest, but doesn't goes the farthest and "N" has the strongest signal. That is why you connect to it 90 percent of the time.
Ok so the one it connects you too is router with a "n" setting, it is good for 230 feet and speeds up to 300mps at 2.5ghz and 5ghz signal. It is the signal that throws itself the farthest basically. The other ones are "ac" signal which transmit 130 feet at only 5ghz with a speed of up to 1gps. However 5ghz is easliy blocked and is a weaker signal at distance. So the ac signal is newest, but doesn't goes the farthest and "N" has the strongest signal. That is why you connect to it 90 percent of the time.

Solution

GrayWoolsey

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
That makes sense but I can't even manually connect to the AC signal and wouldn't my WiFi extender in the hallway help out with keeping that signal from deteriorating? I do live in the back of the house and have always had WiFi problems since we've moved in but currently hard wiring the house isn't an option.

GrayWoolsey

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
Well my WiFi adapter can do either, I got it connecting to the AC network though, for some reason my WiFi extender had disconnected from the router and I just had to reconnect it. With the AC network I'm getting 100+ mb/s download speed on an internet speed test and with the N network I get around 20 mb/s download.

GrayWoolsey

Reputable
Jan 8, 2016
So I'm assuming the problem is that the AC network isn't as strong but it's faster so without my WiFi extender it wasn't able to connect to it? Because now that my extender is functioning it connects to it and I'm seeing faster download speeds.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch
So I'm assuming the problem is that the AC network isn't as strong but it's faster so without my WiFi extender it wasn't able to connect to it? Because now that my extender is functioning it connects to it and I'm seeing faster download speeds.
There you go, wifi extender throws both signals to your computer, but without it on yu were getting the stronger , slower 2.5ghz signal.

TRENDING THREADS