[SOLVED] Cant connect to Remote Desktop through router, but CAN connect through mobile hotspot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 14, 2019
Hi

I can connect via my Mobile Hotspot to Remote Desktop, but when I try to connect via my Asus router, it just times out.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Solution
From home to work does not require any port forwarding. That would only come into play if you were trying to access your home computer from somewhere else. Actually, I would encourage you to remove the port forwarding because with it on you are allowing anyone on the internet access to attempt to hack your computer (depending on the setup).

It is more likely that the firewall at work (I hope they have one) is blocking your connection rather than your equipment. Why is it only blocked when you use the router? Hard to say, but my assumption is that when you use the hotspot you have a different public IP address than when you use the router (I am assuming here that your mobile hotspot connects to a mobile carrier and your router is...
Jan 14, 2019

The firewall is disabled on the router.
Yes, we are talking about home computer to outside the network.

Jan 14, 2019

yes FROM home computer to work. port forwarding is on in the router set to both TCP and UDP to 3389

From home to work does not require any port forwarding. That would only come into play if you were trying to access your home computer from somewhere else. Actually, I would encourage you to remove the port forwarding because with it on you are allowing anyone on the internet access to attempt to hack your computer (depending on the setup).

It is more likely that the firewall at work (I hope they have one) is blocking your connection rather than your equipment. Why is it only blocked when you use the router? Hard to say, but my assumption is that when you use the hotspot you have a different public IP address than when you use the router (I am assuming here that your mobile hotspot connects to a mobile carrier and your router is connecting to a different ISP). The mobile carrier's IP address is on a approved list and the home ISP's is not. Is your work using a VPN?

Still a lot of assumptions here, so this might be totally off base.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.