Can't create image disk due to BIOS/UEFI conflict

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013
Hello everyone. First off let me say thank you so much for being here and helping. So many issues I've had have been solved by coming here. Seriously, thanks a bunch!

Now to the issue I'm having:

My goal: To move the contents of my old hard drive onto my new one, Windows 10 OS and all.

My problem: My hard drive is dying. Slowly but surely, sitting at 100% disk usage almost all the time, being slow as christmas etc. etc.
I blame the fact I was dumb and bought a refurbished hard drive. That was probably my biggest mistake. I've since decided to buy a BRAND NEW hard drive that I've formatted to be GPT(Since my hard drive is 2TB+ in size!)

I discovered that in order to move my entire hard drive, I needed to create a System Image, which I did, and I put the system image on my new hard drive(Which was previously empty, obviously).

I then bought a USB drive and turned it into a Windows 10 boot disk. I boot from the USB drive and hit 'repair my computer'. I go to the system image restore, follow the prompts, it finds the image to use on my new hard drive. When it's about to begin the image restore on my new hard drive, it first claims this error:

The system image restore failed.

Windows cannot restore a system image to a computer that has different firmware. The system image was created on a computer using BIOS and this computer is using EFI.

I can only imagine that this is because I made a mistake when I formatted my new hard drive? Regardless, I have no idea how my new hard drive is EFI and my old one is BIOS(My old hard drive is only a smidge above a year old, as in that's when I bought it. No idea how old it is if you count pre-refurbish)

It also gave me an error code(which I sadly forgot :c ), which claimed something along the lines of there not being a suitable drive for the image restore to go on. This confuses me, as the new hard drive with the system image on it is perfectly fine. Did I make a mistake in putting it on my new hard drive? Should I have put the system image on my old drive and transferred it from there?

Solution
You don't need to make a 'System Image', or all that stuff you did.

Assuming your old drive is not actually dead, and is still fully readable:
To clone, do this: (replace 'SSD' with 'new hard drive')
-----------------------------
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables...

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

Yes I'm on my computer now, and my original drive is unharmed. Everything's there.

How do I recover my new drive's space?

USAFRet

Titan

OK...
Power off
reconnect the 3TB
Power up
Go into Disk Management, and you should be able to delete whatever partitions are on it, and start with a blank 3TB (2.72GB) drive.

For the overall clone thing.
Assuming there is no pagefile on the 3TB, there is zero need to boot from any Macrium Rescue DVD.

Just run the application as installed, and it will work.
Assuming, of course, the source drive does not have unreadable blocks.
If it does, then there is little hope.

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

So far so good. It would seem that deleting all volumes on my disk and reverting it back to GPT instead of MBR(Not sure why the recovery system for Reflect changed that), has made it able to be cloned onto even with windows running, so that's good at least.

It's in the process of cloning as I speak. Now to see if it passes 16% completion. Last time it said Clone Failed at that point. If it passes this time, I'll take it as a success and go from there.

Thanks for all the help by the way. I really appreciate it.

Vax

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2013

I've done some calculations, and I've discovered that given the speed at which the %'s tick by, the estimated time it'll take is 5 hours, 40 minutes and 23 seconds.
That's a reeeaaally long time on a saturday evening for me XD
Is it possible that I can use the computer for day-to-day stuff, like simply playing a video game or something while it clones?

USAFRet

Titan

Personally, I would find a movie or two to watch, or use some other device.
That system is already a bit sketchy. The more you mess with it, the less likely this is to actually work.