Question Cant decide on dual GPU setup. Need advice.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I need help figuring out how to get support for 8 monitors in my new build. The array is for all my work applications for trading. I would like to have the ability to game if i wanted too. I would only be playing some Oculus games via Oculus Link on Steam and some MSFS. Multi monitor gaming would be nice but i dont think you can do multi monitor in new Flight Sim anyway. Also, if having a rig thats capable of multi monitor gaming increases my costs a considerable amount then gaming on single monitor is fine.

My build...
cpu- i9-12900k
mobo- ROG STRIX Z690-E GAMING WIFI
PSU- Corsair HX1200
AIO- H150i Elite Capellix
Case- beQuiet! Silent Base 802
Ram- 64GB Crucial 4800mhz DDR5

At the moment, i plan on using the two Visiontek AMD Radeon 7750 SFF 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 GPU’s that i have in the build im upgrading from. I originally wanted to switch back to Nvidia cards for this build but if i could utilize one of those in this build for half the monitor array and then get something else for the other 4 that would give me gaming capability then that would be great! I know i could still get a Nvidia card and have one AMD gpu and one Nvidia gpu in same rig but I'd rather not mix and match like that. Just feel like its asking for trouble. If I'm wrong then please correct me.

Was originally planning on spending around $900 on 2 two RTX3060's. So if i could use one of those HD7750's like i mentioned i guess id be willing to go up to $600-$700 on another card, I'd rather spend less, like in the $350-$450 price range but if thats not doable then i so be it. Also, if i cant use one of those HD7750's then I still dont want to spend more then the $900 i originally planned on. The PC is really meant to be for work so i dont see any reason to spend any more then I originally planned on.

One other thing, my motherboard has a DP and a HDMI port, so i could utilize those for 2 of the monitors if possible.

FYI- I forgot to mention that im using 6 AOC 4k monitors that are set at 3840x2160 @60hz with Windows scaling set to 150%. My other 2 are now Asus 24" set at 1920x1080.

Thanks in advance!

Ralston18

Titan
I suggest doing the following:

1) Go to two or three websites with calculators to determine how much PSU wattage is going to be necessary. Total GPU/iGPU potential peak power demands being the primary concern.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

2) Draw a simple schematic showing motherboard video ports and the installed GPU's with their respective video ports. Diagram out the planned/required video connections Motherboard iGPU and/or GPU [Video port (type: DVI, HDMI, DP) ]-------video cable ------> [Video Port (DVI, HDMI, DP)] Monitor.

With 8 monitors you need to plan out the planned or required connections in detail beforehand. You will need video cables and possibly some adapters to make all of those connections. Plan it out on paper firs - make it a checklist at first. Make copies that can be marked up as changes become apparent and necessary.

Probably a good place to consider where/how the monitors will be arranged: desktop, wall mount, stand mount....

3) Also look at the "wall outlet" to device electrical connections. PC, monitors, printer, NAS, speakers. You could have up to a dozen devices needing power.
Meaning power strips, surge protectors, etc.. Even more if you end up needing two PSUs, a UPS, etc.. Plan all that as well including cable management.

You do not want to create any ground loops amongst all of those devices.

It will all be much easier if you keep the big picture in mind.

Once you have the big picture in place and start filling in the necessary details such as cables, adapters, costs, you will likely need to make some adjustments.

Having a plan is the place to start. You can expect the plan to change. Maybe several times.

Details matter.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I suggest doing the following:

1) Go to two or three websites with calculators to determine how much PSU wattage is going to be necessary. Total GPU/iGPU potential peak power demands being the primary concern.

Start here:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-psus,4229.html

2) Draw a simple schematic showing motherboard video ports and the installed GPU's with their respective video ports. Diagram out the planned/required video connections Motherboard iGPU and/or GPU [Video port (type: DVI, HDMI, DP) ]-------video cable ------> [Video Port (DVI, HDMI, DP)] Monitor.

With 8 monitors you need to plan out the planned or required connections in detail beforehand. You will need video cables and possibly some adapters to make all of those connections. Plan it out on paper firs - make it a checklist at first. Make copies that can be marked up as changes become apparent and necessary.

Probably a good place to consider where/how the monitors will be arranged: desktop, wall mount, stand mount....

3) Also look at the "wall outlet" to device electrical connections. PC, monitors, printer, NAS, speakers. You could have up to a dozen devices needing power.
Meaning power strips, surge protectors, etc.. Even more if you end up needing two PSUs, a UPS, etc.. Plan all that as well including cable management.

You do not want to create any ground loops amongst all of those devices.

It will all be much easier if you keep the big picture in mind.

Once you have the big picture in place and start filling in the necessary details such as cables, adapters, costs, you will likely need to make some adjustments.

Having a plan is the place to start. You can expect the plan to change. Maybe several times.

Details matter.

Monitor array is in use already with PC im upgrading from. So everything is setup at that end. Already have HX1200 in new build. So I guess I have to work backwards from there and make sure i dont buy GPU or GPU's that will take me over wattage threshold. But that all brings me back to the point of the thread which was trying to get some ideas from other people of what my options are? I really know nothing about GPU's and would like to be able to accomplish what i mentioned in my 1st post.

Thanks for responding.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Choosing a GPU(s) then - correct?

Start here - timely link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

The review may help you narrow down possible GPU choices.

I also recommend that you go to the manufacturer's website for any candidate GPUs.

Read the applicable User Guide/Manual. Check drivers, Read the applicable Forums/FAQs. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said.

And, of course, keep an eye on your thread for other additional ideas and suggestions.

Based on your hardware, described environment, and overall requirements someone may be able to recommend a specific GPU.

Or provide other related guidance. I have no problem with that.

Im guessing that using two (for example) RTX 3060, will be less problematic than using mixed GPU, specially from different manufactures and ages. It doesn't mean it wont work, but could present other issues.

Important question:

What are the input ports for those monitors you named ?

New GPU only come with DP and HDMI, so no more analog ports.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Choosing a GPU(s) then - correct?

Start here - timely link:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

The review may help you narrow down possible GPU choices.

I also recommend that you go to the manufacturer's website for any candidate GPUs.

Read the applicable User Guide/Manual. Check drivers, Read the applicable Forums/FAQs. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said.

And, of course, keep an eye on your thread for other additional ideas and suggestions.

Based on your hardware, described environment, and overall requirements someone may be able to recommend a specific GPU.

Or provide other related guidance. I have no problem with that.
Will do. Thanks

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Im guessing that using two (for example) RTX 3060, will be less problematic than using mixed GPU, specially from different manufactures and ages. It doesn't mean it wont work, but could present other issues.

Important question:

What are the input ports for those monitors you named ?

New GPU only come with DP and HDMI, so no more analog ports.

Thats what i was thinking. To answer your question...The AOC's have 1-DP and 2-HDMi's. The ASUS's have 1-HDMI, 1-DVI and 1-VGA .

If i was going to take a chance and run one of those HD7750's in rig. What would you consider a decent GPU to pair with it for the gaming i talked about doing. Figured i could buy something tonight for prime day and give it a try.

Thanks for responding.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
8x 4k monitors? On 2x gpus? Not going to happen. The HD7750 can support one 4k monitor and one additional 1080p.

A single 3080 supports upto 4x 4k monitors at standard 3840x2160 resolution. As does a 3080Ti, 3090, 3090Ti as the maximum supported digital resolution is 7680x4320, regardless of connection.

A 3060 or better will support 4x 4k monitors, all the same 7680x4320 digital resolution, but you won't be gaming on anything less than a 3080.

So you'd need at a minimum a 3060 to power 4 of the monitors, and a 3080 or better to power the 4 monitors including the Primary monitor used for gaming purposes.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
8x 4k monitors? On 2x gpus? Not going to happen. The HD7750 can support one 4k monitor and one additional 1080p.

A single 3080 supports upto 4x 4k monitors at standard 3840x2160 resolution. As does a 3080Ti, 3090, 3090Ti as the maximum supported digital resolution is 7680x4320, regardless of connection.

A 3060 or better will support 4x 4k monitors, all the same 7680x4320 digital resolution, but you won't be gaming on anything less than a 3080.

So you'd need at a minimum a 3060 to power 4 of the monitors, and a 3080 or better to power the 4 monitors including the Primary monitor used for gaming purposes.

Dont want to game on 8 monitors. The 8 monitors are for work applications. If i game im fine with gaming on 1 of them but if i could game on 3 or 4 of them that would be great too.

Ive been looking at Radeon RX6600XT's, 6650XT's and 6700XT's online this evening and might go with one of those along with one of the HD7750's i have already. That will give me 8 monitor support for work and im hoping let me play MSFS and some Oculus VR,

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not gaming. That's resolution support. The maximum digital resolution a 7750 can support is:
Maximum HDMI resolution: 4096 x 3112
Maximum DP resolution: 4096 x 2160

4k is 3840x2160.

You'll get 1080p out of the dvi, and 4k from the hdmi OR dp, and thats it, max amount of pixels the card can physically put on the screen. The 7750 will only support upto 3 monitors at 1080p.

A 3060 will support resolution upto 7680x4320, which is 33,177,600 pixels. 4x 4k is 33,177,600 pixels. A 3060 can support 4x 4k monitors. A 3060 can support 4k gaming, but really sucks as most games will be closer to 10-30fps.

You'll need a 3060 for four of the monitors, and a 3080 at least for the remaining four monitors, including the Primary monitor, which is the only monitor you'll game on.

The issue isn't the amount of monitors, nor is it the requirement for gaming, the issue is totally wrapped around the fact you have 8x 4k monitors to power which is entirely different to powering 8x 1080p monitors, which you could do with 2x 7750's and the igpu.

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
That's not gaming. That's resolution support. The maximum digital resolution a 7750 can support is:
Maximum HDMI resolution: 4096 x 3112
Maximum DP resolution: 4096 x 2160

4k is 3840x2160.

You'll get 1080p out of the dvi, and 4k from the hdmi OR dp, and thats it, max amount of pixels the card can physically put on the screen. The 7750 will only support upto 3 monitors at 1080p.

A 3060 will support resolution upto 7680x4320, which is 33,177,600 pixels. 4x 4k is 33,177,600 pixels. A 3060 can support 4x 4k monitors. A 3060 can support 4k gaming, but really sucks as most games will be closer to 10-30fps.

You'll need a 3060 for four of the monitors, and a 3080 at least for the remaining four monitors, including the Primary monitor, which is the only monitor you'll game on.

The issue isn't the amount of monitors, nor is it the requirement for gaming, the issue is totally wrapped around the fact you have 8x 4k monitors to power which is entirely different to powering 8x 1080p monitors, which you could do with 2x 7750's and the igpu.

Thank you so much for responding. I always build my own PC's for work but have never paid much attention to the GPU aspect of the builds. I used to always just throw 2 Quadro NVS 420's or something similar in my rigs. Thos HD7750's i have were a quick fix to one of my GPU's dying around 3 years ago. So im not very knowledgable when it comes to GPU's. Thie info you stated is the kind of stuff i have no clue about. FYI- Its only 6-4k's and 2-1080p's.

Are there any other options where i could use the iGPU for 2 monitors then maybe work around that for the other 6? Maybe get 2 cards that support 3x monitors per card? or will that effect my resolutions?

Also, isnt the fact that im using 150% scaling in windows also mean im not really running at 4k anyway or am i missed informed? You stated that a 7750 would only support 3 monitors @ 1080p and im running 6- 4k monitors and 2-1808p monitors on 2 of them now so im thinking the 150% scaling is doing something.

Thanks again!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
But wait, wasnt only 6 x 4K monitors + 2 x 1080p monitors in OP display setup?

Perhaps OP can do:
  • One RTX 3060 for 3x 4K monitors + 1x 1080p monitor
  • Another RTX 3060 for 3x 4K monitors + 1x 1080p monitor
Isn't this posible with 2x RTX 3060 ?

Yes only 6-4k and 2-1080P. If what you said will work then thats what i think i will do.

One thing though... there are 3060's, 3060Tis and different manufacturers seem to have slightly different variations. Would any work or would i have to buy a specific 3060. I see that the 3060's have 12GB RAM and 3584 Cuda cores with a 192bit memory bus, but the 3060Ti's have 8Gb RAM and 4864 Cuda cores with 256Bit memory bus. Besides those differences they both have different core clock performance and boost clocks. I am clueless when it comes to those kind of stats for GPU's. With what i intend to do and the equipment i currently have what would make more sense for me to buy? Of course, thats only if the configuration you mentioned is doable for me.

Oh and i also see that there are 2 fan variations of 3060 and 3060Ti. Im thinking 3 fans vs 2 fans would mean less noise but also thinking that 3 fans would mean less work for them to do so 2 fans might actually be louder. Basically, I would love something that i wont hear all day while im working. While gaming i could care less what i hear running.

Thank you very much for responding!

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Just ran some PSU calculators and dont believe i could run a 3060Ti anyway with my HX1200. At least not an OC'd version. Im getting different results though. For the 3060Ti beQuiet's PSU calc says id require 1086W and would be at 90% Load with their 1200W PSU's, but Outervision PSU calc says my recommended PSU wattage is 956W for 3060Ti. For the 3060 beQuiet's site says id require 926W and would be at 77% Load, but the other says my recommended PSU wattage is 893W.

The RTX 3060 TI is of course a faster gaming card than the RTX 3060. I believe there will be no difference in the video output power and ports, at least thats what the oficial nvidia specs show https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3060-3060ti/

And yes different manufacturers make this cards with, 2 fans and 3 fans, but fan number is not an indication of how good or bad the cooling system is on the card. A card with 2 fans may run colder than a card with 3 fans, it dependes on many other things, for example how good is the heatsink design and installation. Its really hard to point out to which videocard is better than other of the same model, unless you watch and/or read lots of reviews.

Between two RTX 3060, or two RTX 3060TI, you are going to see only small percentage difference in performance.

As for working and fan speed, most cards (if not all) should be runing a 0 rpm while displaying basic windows/programs information ont he screen.

Just ran some PSU calculators and dont believe i could run a 3060Ti anyway with my HX1200. At least not an OC'd version. Im getting different results though. For the 3060Ti beQuiet's PSU calc says id require 1086W and would be at 90% Load with their 1200W PSU's, but Outervision PSU calc says my recommended PSU wattage is 956W for 3060Ti. For the 3060 beQuiet's site says id require 926W and would be at 77% Load, but the other says my recommended PSU wattage is 893W.

Keep in mind that online calculators usually consider the AVG gaming/rendering power consumption of video cards. You wont be gaming with both GPUs, only 1 will do it, and you also wont be doing rendering or video editing work with both GPUs.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
2060 to 3090Ti is all the same, same supported resolutions, same outputs, different levels of ability and power consumption.

2x 3060 will run on 850w no worries. A single 3060 only needs a decent 550w psu..

If gaming on one of the 1080p monitors, you could run 2x 3060's, but to game on a 4k really needs a 3080 or better gpu. It's the 4k requirements for resolution, anything higher than a 3060 will support 3x 4k and a 1080p and/or 4x 4k monitors that's all the same. You could run a 2060 and have the same resolution cap. Possibly restricted to 4k at 30Hz though as DP 1.4a has that limit. It's why I suggested a 3060 as they have DP1.4b.

Last edited:
2060 to 3090Ti is all the same, same supported resolutions, same outputs, different levels of ability and power consumption.

2x 3060 will run on 850w no worries. A single 3060 only needs a decent 550w psu..

If gaming on one of the 1080p monitors, you could run 2x 3060's, but to game on a 4k really needs a 3080 or better gpu. It's the 4k requirements for resolution, anything higher than a 3060 will support 3x 4k and a 1080p and/or 4x 4k monitors that's all the same. You could run a 2060 and have the same resolution cap. Possibly restricted to 4k at 30Hz though as DP 1.4a has that limit. It's why I suggested a 3060 as they have DP1.4b.

Acoording to nvidia page (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3060-3060ti/) both RTX 3060 and 3060 TI they both have DP 1.4a.
Then again really small at the end of the page "1 - Up to 4k 12-bit HDR at 240Hz with DP1.4a+DSC. Up to 8k 12-bit HDR at 60Hz with DP 1.4a+DSC or HDMI2.1+DSC. With dual DP1.4a+DSC, up to 8K HDR at 120Hz ", so I guess 4x 4K @ 60Hz is posible with DP 1.4a?

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Thanks to all of you for educating me. Again im clueless when it come s to GPU's and how they actually do what they do, so if these are stupid questions then sorry.

If i just unplugged all the monitors im not using while i played MSFS would that give me anything back or would it make no difference?

Karadjgne said, "That's not gaming. That's resolution support " in response to one of my earlier posts. If i just wanted to get resolution support for monitor array and was willing to not play MSFS in 4K then would that do for my choices?

Also, if im able to run everything now with the dual 7750 configuration in my old rig would there be any alternatives to using one of those still and getting one AMD card to run the rest of my monitors and be able to play MSFS on single monitor?

Thanks again to all of u for your help with this.

Im pretty sure you will be able to play MSFS at 4K in 1 monitor while having 2 extra 4K + 1 extra 1080p monitor plugged in into the "main" GPU (the one that have the monitor number 1, or main monitor), plus the other GPU with the rest of your display.

What Karadjgne meant (I tihink) is that if you wana use more than 1x 4K monitor to play MSFS (like 2 or 3 of them in surrounding mode), you will need a stronger GPU than RTX 3060. Because when you add 4K + 4K + ..... you are adding "resolution" complexity (pixels, and more pixels) that your GPU needs to be able to draw/eye candy, effects, etc for gaming.

Thats why he wrote if you wana play games at more than 4K, for example 8K (when using many 4K monitors) then you need at least a RTX 3080 or higher). So in that case you will have something like a PC with a RTX 3080 + RTX 3060.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 7750 will only support 1x 4k monitor and 1x 1080p monitor. That's the limits of the amount of pixels it can actually supply a signal to. It's not the gaming which uses 3D drivers and is exponentially more demanding on gpu power, it's whether the gpu can actually power the amount of pixels, regardless of fps.

You could hook up all 4 monitors, 3x 4k and a 1080p, and what you'll get is 1x 4k monitor with a screen, the 1080p will have a screen, and the other 2x 4k monitors will be black, most likely turn off due to no signal.

As I said, it's not a gaming thing, it's a resolution support thing. If a gpu cannot support 2x 4k monitors, it means it doesn't matter if it's just windows or a game or even a screen saver, it literally cannot light up that many pixels. 1080p has 1/4 the amount of pixels, so technically a 7750 could support 5x 1080p monitors, but physically can only support 3x because of the way the connections are routed. You get 2x digital and 2x analog connections, or 3x digital and 1x analog (dvi is both digital and analog but can only use 1 at a time) but can only use 3x of them at any given time

Those digital signals are DP and HDMI, so you can use both with 1080p but having a 3840x2160 on HDMI, that only leaves 2061x2160, which isn't enough pixels for a second 3840x2160 on the DP, but is enough for another 1920x1080 or even a ultrawide 1920x1200.

Native frequency of Windows is 29.97Hz, so using a 3060 with DP 1.4a 4k @ 30Hz is fine, no worries, the 3x 4k and 1x 1080p won't be used for anything else using 3D drivers and requiring higher fps like games do. Web pages, ticker tape, video etc is all 2D drivers. That's why the 3080 for the other 4x monitors, as that gpu uses DP 1.4b and can support 4k @ 60Hz, the limits of the monitors, and the Primary monitor will be using 3D drivers, games and has fps needs above those of 2D, Windows etc.

If Op wasn't interested in gaming at all, then 2x 3060 would be fine, but for 4k gaming you really need a 3080 with 60Hz capability, enough vram to handle the 4k loads of gaming and the power to actually put more than 30fps on screen. A 3060 can't do that.

Alternatively, you could use something like a $400ish Amd FirePro W600 which can power upto 6x 4k monitors @ 60Hz, or 4x 4k + 2x 1080p, and a 3080 for gaming on the Primary with a secondary 4k. That would actually lower power requirements.

Edit: Bah. I'm dumb. Just went back and re-read the entire post. Missed the Visiontek. That's not a standard AMD 7750. That's a purpose built 7750 chipset card, built like the FirePro series, uses 6x mini-DP that will power upto 6x 4k monitors @ 60Hz.
It's a workstation card. Not a gaming oriented card, so toss out pretty much the entire conversation prior. The only thing you'd need to add would be an actual gaming card, just to power one of the 4k monitors that you'd set as Primary connection which is normally the DP, with a secondary 4k monitor. That'd cover 4x 4k and 2x 1080p on the 7750, and a 3070ti/3080 class card for the gaming power needs. The secondary monitor will only use @ 4% or so of the gaming cards potential. 😖

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Im pretty sure you will be able to play MSFS at 4K in 1 monitor while having 2 extra 4K + 1 extra 1080p monitor plugged in into the "main" GPU (the one that have the monitor number 1, or main monitor), plus the other GPU with the rest of your display.

What Karadjgne meant (I tihink) is that if you wana use more than 1x 4K monitor to play MSFS (like 2 or 3 of them in surrounding mode), you will need a stronger GPU than RTX 3060. Because when you add 4K + 4K + ..... you are adding "resolution" complexity (pixels, and more pixels) that your GPU needs to be able to draw/eye candy, effects, etc for gaming.

Thats why he wrote if you wana play games at more than 4K, for example 8K (when using many 4K monitors) then you need at least a RTX 3080 or higher). So in that case you will have something like a PC with a RTX 3080 + RTX 3060.

Understood. Thanks again,

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
The 7750 will only support 1x 4k monitor and 1x 1080p monitor. That's the limits of the amount of pixels it can actually supply a signal to. It's not the gaming which uses 3D drivers and is exponentially more demanding on gpu power, it's whether the gpu can actually power the amount of pixels, regardless of fps.

You could hook up all 4 monitors, 3x 4k and a 1080p, and what you'll get is 1x 4k monitor with a screen, the 1080p will have a screen, and the other 2x 4k monitors will be black, most likely turn off due to no signal.

As I said, it's not a gaming thing, it's a resolution support thing. If a gpu cannot support 2x 4k monitors, it means it doesn't matter if it's just windows or a game or even a screen saver, it literally cannot light up that many pixels. 1080p has 1/4 the amount of pixels, so technically a 7750 could support 5x 1080p monitors, but physically can only support 3x because of the way the connections are routed. You get 2x digital and 2x analog connections, or 3x digital and 1x analog (dvi is both digital and analog but can only use 1 at a time) but can only use 3x of them at any given time

Those digital signals are DP and HDMI, so you can use both with 1080p but having a 3840x2160 on HDMI, that only leaves 2061x2160, which isn't enough pixels for a second 3840x2160 on the DP, but is enough for another 1920x1080 or even a ultrawide 1920x1200.

Native frequency of Windows is 29.97Hz, so using a 3060 with DP 1.4a 4k @ 30Hz is fine, no worries, the 3x 4k and 1x 1080p won't be used for anything else using 3D drivers and requiring higher fps like games do. Web pages, ticker tape, video etc is all 2D drivers. That's why the 3080 for the other 4x monitors, as that gpu uses DP 1.4b and can support 4k @ 60Hz, the limits of the monitors, and the Primary monitor will be using 3D drivers, games and has fps needs above those of 2D, Windows etc.

If Op wasn't interested in gaming at all, then 2x 3060 would be fine, but for 4k gaming you really need a 3080 with 60Hz capability, enough vram to handle the 4k loads of gaming and the power to actually put more than 30fps on screen. A 3060 can't do that.

Alternatively, you could use something like a $400ish Amd FirePro W600 which can power upto 6x 4k monitors @ 60Hz, or 4x 4k + 2x 1080p, and a 3080 for gaming on the Primary with a secondary 4k. That would actually lower power requirements.

Edit: Bah. I'm dumb. Just went back and re-read the entire post. Missed the Visiontek. That's not a standard AMD 7750. That's a purpose built 7750 chipset card, built like the FirePro series, uses 6x mini-DP that will power upto 6x 4k monitors @ 60Hz.
It's a workstation card. Not a gaming oriented card, so toss out pretty much the entire conversation prior. The only thing you'd need to add would be an actual gaming card, just to power one of the 4k monitors that you'd set as Primary connection which is normally the DP, with a secondary 4k monitor. That'd cover 4x 4k and 2x 1080p on the 7750, and a 3070ti/3080 class card for the gaming power needs. The secondary monitor will only use @ 4% or so of the gaming cards potential. 😖

I really appreciate you taking the time to give me that much information. You and everyone else thats taken the time have helped educate me.

Not going to lie. i was getting a bit confused because i couldnt understand how i already had all my monitors connected to those GPU's in a different rig and they all worked. Glad we are sort of on same page now. One issue, my 7750's only have 4 mini Dp connections not 6. I didnt realize how many variations of that card were out there. I should have been more specific in my 1st post . I apologize for that.

With that in mind. Would you still recommend just adding one 3070ti /3080 class card to rig?

Also, would it make more sense for me to stick with another AMD GPU so i have same chipset manufacturer in build? Or should i really not be concerned with that?

Thanks again!

Crap, I didn't check the Visiontek card either.

I believe from what I can see on the Visiontek 7750 web site (https://www.visiontek.com/products/radeon-7750-sff-2gb-gddr5-4m-4x-minidp) and what Karadjgne mention, that you will hook either:

- 2x 4K monitors + 2x 1080p monitors to your Visiontek 7750, and then you can have an RTX 3070TI or RTX 3080 to power 2x 4K monitors (been one the main monitor and the gaming one).

or I think this next should work too:

- 3x 4K monitors + 1x 1080p monitors to your Visiontek 7750, and then RTX 3070TI or RTX 3080 to power another 4K monitor (main one) + 1x 1080p.

This RTX card will be the gaming one and those models should be the "best" choice, for now, for MSFS 4K gaming at decent AVG and 1% low FPS.

On the other hand, Im pretty sure Karadjgne will be back with more input later.

EDIT: Fixed lots of input errors.

Last edited:

dmavro

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Crap, I didn't check the Visiontek card either.

I believe from what I can see on the Visiontek 7750 web site (https://www.visiontek.com/products/radeon-7750-sff-2gb-gddr5-4m-4x-minidp) and what Karadjgne mention, that you will hook wither:

- 2x 4K monitors + 2x 1080p monitors to your Visiontek 7750, and then you can have an RTX 3070TI or RTX 3080 to power with 2x 4K monitors

or, i think this next should work too:

- 3x 4K monitors + 1x 1080p monitors to your Visiontek 7750, and then you the RTX 3070TI or RTX 3080 to power another 4K monitor + 1x 1080p.

This RTX card will be the gaming one and those models should be the "best" choice, for now, for MSFS 4K gaming at decent AVG and 1% low FPS.

On the other hand, Im pretty sure Karadjgne will be back with mroe input later.

Thanks for taking time again and sorry for confusion over which cards i already have. Im going to start researching 3070Ti's and 3080's. Also going to try and figure out the AMD equivalents and research them just in case i decide not to mix chipset manufacturers. Im hoping Karadjne comes back with more input too.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Latest posts