Question Can't Decide to Buy Budget: Used (Better) vs New SSD from Amazon( Help Me Choose)

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
Hi, my main concern is if it is safe to buy used SSD from Amazon? I have 2 options: NEW Kingston NV2 1TB for 61$ and USED WD SN580 1TB fro 63$ ( Like New, Sold and Ships from Amazon, it says functions and looks like new). As you can guess, i don't know how Amazon tests and ranks condition of used SSD-s. Who knows how much data has been written while it's been used, i know nothing about firmware updates/problems or it's health in general.

So , What would you do in my place? Can i trust Amazon or is it sometimes a lottery ?

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
I wouldn't get Kingston SSD and I wouldn't get used SSD.
Also I wouldn't get a cheap dramless SSD.

So I wouldn't choose any of your options.
Well, thanks for replying even though it doesn't help my case. Everything is relative, when you have defected or super slow HDD which takes around 20mins to boot up and freezes time to time, you would be happy to get any kind of improvement. Any SATA SSD would be a relief for me, not to say anything about NVME SSD even dreamless. I run dreamless SN570 as primary drive on another PC with no problems and it's day and night difference.

The only two circumstances I think buying a used SSD is viable is if it's from the manufacturer or an enterprise drive.

If your budget is only around $60-65 this is what I'd personally get: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBSSC21F

If you don't know who Klevv is they're a brand under the SK corporate umbrella and source their NAND from SK Hynix. While this drive isn't going to win any speed prizes it should be good enough and seems like a good value given current pricing.

edit: just to add at the $85 price point you can get a SN850X which is definitely the best drive for that price or lower

Last edited:

Bach0

Distinguished
May 2, 2013
The only two circumstances I think buying a used SSD is viable is if it's from the manufacturer or an enterprise drive.

If your budget is only around $60-65 this is what I'd personally get: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CBSSC21F

If you don't know who Klevv is they're a brand under the SK corporate umbrella and source their NAND from SK Hynix. While this drive isn't going to win any speed prizes it should be good enough and seems like a good value given current pricing.

edit: just to add at the $85 price point you can get a SN850X which is definitely the best drive for that price or lower
Thanks again, frankly i'm afraid of the brands which are less popular or have fewer ratings, but i like the idea of adding on a budget and getting that WDSN850X , so i'll probably go with that.

EDIT: I can't seem to find "mark as solved" button anywhere, is it removed?

Are dramless ssds from reputed manufacturers fine?
I recently bought a cheap dramless QLC drive for more game storage. It does take a long time to install large games as the the write cache fills up then the write speed tanks. However, as I only install each game once this isn't a massive problem and the money I saved buying it over a more expensive drive meant I could buy more games.