Cant Decide Whether to buy a new router or not

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
So here's the situation:
Im playing on the dinner table when no one is using the table, the router is around 15-20 meters away, a major walk way and a couch is in between the table and the router. So i cant play using ethernet so I always have been playing using a Wifi connection. When everybody is asleep, the internet is fine, no major lag spikes or anything. But sometimes, there seems to be no pattern, but I can give you two scenarios;

First: a TV streaming netflix at 1080p, 2-3 cellphones, 1 laptop
Second: 1-2 cellphones

sometimes in the first scenario, i wont get any major lag spikes but in scenario 2, i can get major lag spikes. sometimes vice versa.

I think the lag is caused by our modem/router that our ISP gave us. it uses a PON connection because we have a 50 up and down FTTH fiber connection. The problem is Im not very knowledgeable when it comes to Router statistics and stuff.

I think our router is a N300 im not really sure because its a chinese or russian brand i think the brand is FiberHome, I've never heard of the brand. Now I was thinking of buying a Asus rt-AC1300 router, but im having doubts whether it will actually give me more STABILITY and SPEED over a wifi/wireless connection. I dont want to spend around $100 for around the same performance.

In conclusion, Will a new router improve my wireless gaming internet stability and speed?

also, does more bandwidth in one's router mean it will be more stable wirelessly?
also, In a router with dual band, if everyone is using the 2.4 ghz band, and you are the only one in the 5ghz band, will the people in the 2.4 ghz band create lag or disturbances for the person in the 5ghz band?

Keithngan162

Honorable
Apr 17, 2016
MERGED QUESTION
Question from Keithngan162 : "Help Buying New Router"

Will a newer, faster router reduce lag spikes in game?

right now, I am using an PON modem/router that our isp gave us with our internet plan. and sometimes when 1 or 2 other people are actively using the internet, i get major major major major lag spikes, all the way up to 2k ping.

I am planning to buy a newer router, specifically the ASUS RT-AC1300UHP, but i am getting second thoughts because I am worried that I still might get the same lag spikes.

additional details:
our internet plan is 50 megabit both up and down
I cannot use wired connection because I play on the dinner table so the wire cant be hanging there.
The device I play on is the Lenovo Legion Y520