Question Can't enable xmp on almost same motherboard

thatskuroo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
Hello everyone, so in short I had a Gigabyte A320M S2H on which I could enable xmp and run my two Corsair ram at 3600 MHz. Now I exchanged it for a Gigabyte A320M S2H V2 CF, and on this I can't enable xmp, if I do the system reboots right away and I see the ram are set to 2133, I can't even change the frequency manually without xmp, I tried resetting the CMOS battery and update the bios to the latest version. what could I try? the motherboard is the only component I changed, everything is the same as before. Thanks in advance!

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Well, when XMP doesn't hold, next step would be manual OC. But when you can't do even that, then you're stuck with 2133 Mhz. Fix would be either new RAM, that is listed in MoBo memory QVL list, where Gigabyte has confirmed the RAM to work at X frequency, or new MoBo.

If you want more troubleshooting steps, then read 3rd chapter (setting up XMP) in this article,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Btw, why did you replace MoBo in the first place? And why go with the cheapest, bottom-of-the-barrel chipset: A320? B350 or X370 chipset would be much better off.

thatskuroo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
Well, when XMP doesn't hold, next step would be manual OC. But when you can't do even that, then you're stuck with 2133 Mhz. Fix would be either new RAM, that is listed in MoBo memory QVL list, where Gigabyte has confirmed the RAM to work at X frequency, or new MoBo.

If you want more troubleshooting steps, then read 3rd chapter (setting up XMP) in this article,
link: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq...y-ram-and-xmp-profile-configurations.3398926/

Btw, why did you replace MoBo in the first place? And why go with the cheapest, bottom-of-the-barrel chipset: A320? B350 or X370 chipset would be much better off.
Oh I see, well I guess I'll try with another pair of ram to see if that solves, thanks 👍🏻

Btw I had these motherboards lying around and I was building a pc for my brother, so based of the name I thought I'd install the "newer" model in my pc and give him the other one 😅

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
so based of the name I thought I'd install the "newer" model in my pc and give him the other one 😅
With Gigabyte, "newer" usually means inferior, especially in their budget/value segment.

Gigabyte has gotten into hot water with inferior MoBo revisions before.
Article: https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...hing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far,3.html

So, i'd be very careful when using Gigabyte MoBo. Preferably, not to use Gigabyte MoBo at all. AsRock, Asus and MSI are other options. (I'm personally running MSI.)

thatskuroo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
With Gigabyte, "newer" usually means inferior, especially in their budget/value segment.

Gigabyte has gotten into hot water with inferior MoBo revisions before.
Article: https://web.archive.org/web/2015022...hing-it-a-motherboard-revision-too-far,3.html

So, i'd be very careful when using Gigabyte MoBo. Preferably, not to use Gigabyte MoBo at all. AsRock, Asus and MSI are other options. (I'm personally running MSI.)
this reminded me of something, my dad actually has a better motherboard than me, he has a Msi b450, I could take It. Could it be possible for me to exchange the components and take that motherboard without him having to reinstall windows and lose data? I can reinstall windows without problems because I have nothing important

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Could it be possible for me to exchange the components and take that motherboard without him having to reinstall windows and lose data?
No.

New MoBo = new clean Win install.
Since current OS is configured to the B450 chipset MoBo. Replacing MoBo, even within same chipset (e.g AsRock B450 to MSI B450) still requires new, clean Win install.
Else-ways (keeping the OS) = system instability, BSoD, programs not working right etc.

thatskuroo

Reputable
Jun 21, 2020
No.

New MoBo = new clean Win install.
Since current OS is configured to the B450 chipset MoBo. Replacing MoBo, even within same chipset (e.g AsRock B450 to MSI B450) still requires new, clean Win install.
Else-ways (keeping the OS) = system instability, BSoD, programs not working right etc.
Okay so I can't do a clean install on his pc, so I'll stick with the ram change to see if it helps, thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS