Question (yes another) kernel power 41 troubleshooting

Aug 26, 2024
Hi all!

I'm sure you've seen this exact post before, but in an attempt to troubleshoot efficiently, I am going to post here with my specifics.

issue: in gaming, computer will randomly black screen, and then almost instantly force restart. This has been happing on and off (every few days) since i made a pc upgrade.
specs (after upgrade)

B550 Aurous Elite (rev 1.0)
Ryzen 7 5700x3d
Thermalright Phantom spirit 120mm EVO
32gb (4x8gb) 3200mhz ram (g skill ripjaws)
sk hynix 500gb ssd
wd blue 1tb hdd (5400rpm I believe)
rtx 3080 (critically this was a cert refurbish card) PNY XLR8 10gb
cooler master 750w gold
2x lian li 140mm fans
3x lian li 120mm fans (both sets of fans are standard ARGB, not the onefan thingy)

From what I can tell I am not reaching power limit. under full load- GPU 320w and CPU 50w-ish

My main confusion is unless i force a heavy overclock overload, I cannot force it to replicate the issue in stress testing. Even temps are fine with the GPU around 72C and CPU about 68C under full load in 3d mark.

I do have an overclock applied (in afterburner) and I have PBO enabled, but from what I can tell this does not change the frequency of the shutdown.

It usually happens after a decent duration of gaming, a couple hours maybe, but again it does not seem to be temps, as they stay pretty steady.

I might also test the voltage on the PSU, but I do not have a multimeter, nor do I see anything off in Hardware Monitor.

My plan as of now is to use memtest tonight-I will post the results under this thread. I will also reset bios settings (already on most current version), remove MSI afterburner, and run DDU, and disable PBO. I will also double check the integrity of the cables and their latches onto the GPU and motherboard.

Please let me know if you have any advice, or any more tests I should run. I can provide minidump files if need be, as well as HWM values. I've heard that when using 4 channels of ram it might be best to disable and re-enable XMP as well as overvolt by 0.01V.

thanks guys I appreciate the help!

I would point the finger at the PSU, the 3080 has very bad power spikes that are tripping the PSU.

The power spikes are milliseconds long so software does not pick them up, the 3080 is rated at 320w but the spikes can double that which trip the 12v rail, its like someone hitting the reset button on the computer when it happens.

Reactions: quantumcoral99
Aug 26, 2024
I would point the finger at the PSU, the 3080 has very bad power spikes that are tripping the PSU.

The power spikes are milliseconds long so software does not pick them up, the 3080 is rated at 320w but the spikes can double that which trip the 12v rail, its like someone hitting the reset button on the computer when it happens.
okay man thank you for the help! I will look into it. in your opinion would it be worth upgrading the power supply to say like 1000w? maybe i could impose a power limit in afterburner? again thank you for the help