Can't enter BIOS at first boot

Jun 18, 2018
Hi,
So... I just built my first computer and everything worked out so far but now I'm stuck. I've been trying to boot it and I can't enter BIOS because my keyboard doesn't seem to work.
I say 'seem' because it does in fact light up and also react to pressing num and caps lock. Just del/F2 doesn't do anything.

I'm completely lost and don't know what I can do to fix it. (I've tried every usb port and unfortunately don't have a PS/2 keyboard, but I'm wondering if I might need one (or an adapter))

I hope someone can help me :')

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two ideas.

1. An adapter - yes, that might help. The simple adapters merely convert one plug type to another because the electrical connections for a USB keyboard normally are the same as for a PS/2 keyboard. That way you can plug a USB2 keyboard into a PS/2 socket on the back panel.

2. To enter BIOS Setup, the instructions always say something like "Tap the DEL key" during boot. I find the system gets quite busy during the initial boot-up POST process and does not always "see" a keypress. So I'm in the habit of holding down the "Del" key as soon as the boot process starts, until the opening page of BIOS Setup shows up. Try that before running out to buy an adapter.

Jun 18, 2018
Thanks for the idea, it I tried it but it didn't work. I guess I'll have to wait for my adapter to arrive (hopefully tomorrow).
Even though I somehow doubt that it's gonna be the solution but we'll see :')

Jun 18, 2018
Alright, so it didn't work. I've tried a usb keyboard with a ps/2 adapter and now I also got to try it with a different ps/2 keyboard.
I was thinking that my original keyboard maybe requires a software but it's still the same problem.

I feel like I have tried everything...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A great puzzle. I can offer a less-likely thing to try. On some mobos the key to hold down during the boot is NOT "Del". If you tell us what mobo maker you have and exact model number we can help check what key should be used. Another way to tell: watch the screen carefully as the POST process displays messages. Normally it will print a message about what key to hit to "Enter Setup", or some such phrase. Often that message will be at bottom left.

Jun 18, 2018
Thank you for still trying to help, I'm using the asus prime x370-pro and it tells me to press del or F2. I'm actually kinda stuck at the POST-screen (or whatever it's called, I see the Asus logo and the text about pressing del/F2), and it just stays there. I have no os installed yet.

Just noticed another thing. When I start it, it beeps once, meaning: VGA detected, quick boot set to disable, no keyboard detected.

But my keyboard lights up and reacts to num/caps lock, despite being 'not detected'.
Also, if I press ctrl, alt and del, the monitor goes black and after a few seconds it beeps again, as if it's doing another POST. So pressing keys does do something, somehow.
That only happens when using one specific usb port though.
When I'm using the ps/2 adapter it doesn't even light up.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's very strange. Three further ideas.

1. You MAY have a special slightly different keyboard that does not use the USB2 port in the usual way. I have a mouse like that - it insists that it be plugged into a USB2 port and that its device driver be installed in Windows - it won't register at first without that. Of course, this means my machine has to be able to boot into Windows in order for the mouse to work.

2. Desperate thought. Maybe by some odd circumstance your mobo BIOS has an option set that is interfering with keyboard access. To TRY to "fix" that, do a BIOS Reset. To do this, unplug all external accessories from your machine, but of course leave all the mobo connectors and power, etc inside connected. Unplug the machine from the wall. Open the case, and locate the round silver BIOS battery (size of a quarter) near bottom center. Also locate the two pins at bottom edge slightly to right of center called CLR RTC. See item #10 on manual p. 1-2, and p. 1-8. NOTE that these two pins are above a VERY similar pair for a different purpose. Now, remove the battery and NOTE which way it is mounted so you can put it back in properly. Go to those CLR RTC pins and use a screwdriver or something metal to short them together for 10 to 15 sec. Now replace the battery, close up, and plug it back into the wall. This process restores the mobo BIOS settings to a simple factory-original state. IF that lets you get into BIOS Setup using your keyboard, then see you manual on p. 3-3 if it opens in EZ Mode. Press the F7 key to get to Advanced Mode (p. 3-4) if you are not there already. From the top menu items choose the last, "Exit", and see p. 3-30. Choose "Load Optimized Defaults", then "Save Changes & Reset" to ensure the full stable set of factory default settings is installed and saved, and the system will reboot again. Check to ensure you can enter BIOS Setup.

3. If that does not help, it's possible your mobo is faulty. If you borrow somehow a real P/S2 keyboard (or even another plain USB2 keyboard with adapter for the PS/2 port), does that work? If not, there is something wrong with your mobo.