Can't figure out 3 harddisks failure

omarstrike

Prominent
May 4, 2017
Few days ago my 3rd harddisk failed in 4 years duration.
I had:
520GB Samsung HDD
1 TB Toshiba HDD (7200 rpm)
1 TB WD HDD (7200 rpm)

My pc specs :
Intel i5 4440
Asus H81M-K motherboard
Asus GTX 760 DC II OC
8GB Transcend RAM
500W power supply

I salvaged the Samsung HDD from my old pc. It was working fine. I was running samsung + toshiba HDD in my system at first. Then after few months samsung HDD starts acting up I got SMART error and very slow read/write speed. So, I got rid of that HDD. Then after a year I got following error for toshiba HDD
"NAME_HERE: STATUS BAD, Backup and Replace" s
same as samsung but it was in working condition just slow read/write and screen freeze in games. I checked with Crystal Disk info and "Relocated sector count" was off. So because of performance issue I got rid of that that HDD too.

I was then using 1 TB WD HDD, few days ago we had a power outage and after that my HDD was showing SMART Error and this was not first time. I got this error 3-4 months ago but it fixed itself and I didn't bother to check further.
But now when it failed it won't boot windows and if I try to install windows, it refuses to install on HDD saying its damaged or something.

I again plan on buying a new HDD but not without figuring out root of problem which caused 3 HDD to fails. I don't want to again go though hassel of copying data to new HDD for days.

I think the main reason to this can be power outages in my areas. Our town loses power like 9-10 times a week randomly for a short time. Though I have no problems with other components of my computer. I also tried changing the cables. Can't be overheat. There is plenty of room and a intake fan aimed straight at HDD.

I just want to know what can be reason to these failures. So my next HDD does not suffer same fate.

Thanks.

Solution
omarstrike, any electrical device is susceptible to energy spikes and outages. Do you have a surge protector installed? There is not much you can do now for those HDD but plan for the future. Create a back up plan as it looks like from your description, your town has many outages a week.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.
omarstrike, any electrical device is susceptible to energy spikes and outages. Do you have a surge protector installed? There is not much you can do now for those HDD but plan for the future. Create a back up plan as it looks like from your description, your town has many outages a week.

Basically you want:

3 copies of any data you don't want to lose
2 different mediums it's stored on (so 2 different drives in your computer, for example)
1 copy kept offsite, to prevent against disaster.

Best of luck.

Solution