Question Can't find ATX on motherboard

Nov 17, 2022
I can't find the spot to plug in GPU power supply. The ATX CPU is occupied (p4 is not). I am either blind or it just doesn't exist.
I mainly use my computer (it's pretty old) for videos and light game usage (at the same time) which it can do just fine/well but I always have to keep the graphics low on games though I do have an old CPU (i3-4130 3.40GHz 2 cores). My GPU often maxes before my CPU does (task manager) with integrated graphics at higher graphic levels. The CPU also doesn't seem to video decode well but works fine with everything else. I've been thinking about buying a GPU for a better experience but I don't want to buy one without knowing where it's supposed to plug in (or if it needs an external power source -which seems to be expensive itself). Looking up specs, it lists the 4-pin ATX 12V power but looking up images of the motherboard I can't find it.
Where does the GPU get its power on motherboard OR should I look into upgrading CPU and leave it at that?
HP IPM87-MP 1.03 (2AF7 1.03).

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I can't find the spot to plug in GPU power supply. The ATX CPU is occupied (p4 is not). I am either blind or it just doesn't exist.
I mainly use my computer (it's pretty old) for videos and light game usage (at the same time) which it can do just fine/well but I always have to keep the graphics low on games though I do have an old CPU (i3-4130 3.40GHz 2 cores). My GPU often maxes before my CPU does (task manager) with integrated graphics at higher graphic levels. The CPU also doesn't seem to video decode well but works fine with everything else. I've been thinking about buying a GPU for a better experience but I don't want to buy one without knowing where it's supposed to plug in (or if it needs an external power source -which seems to be expensive itself). Looking up specs, it lists the 4-pin ATX 12V power but looking up images of the motherboard I can't find it.
Where does the GPU get its power on motherboard OR should I look into upgrading CPU and leave it at that?
HP IPM87-MP 1.03 (2AF7 1.03).
This board?
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/image/serverpage/image-id/130299iE6B9D8B2525072A7?v=v2

RealBeast

Titan
If you add a GPU that requires additional power, that requires a power connection from the power supply to the GPU directly, not to the motherboard. The GPU is attached to motherboard PCIe x16 slot. Look at your power supply to see what additional power cables are available. Post your intended GPU and we can advise on what power connection is required. Also, can you list the model number for the PSU?

I would expect that your ATX 12V 4 pin connector has a cable attached from the PSU already.

Reactions: ötzi
Nov 17, 2022
Yes, the label for ATX power (physically labeled ATX_CPU near the CPU) has something plugged into it.
If you add a GPU that requires additional power, that requires a power connection from the power supply to the GPU directly, not to the motherboard. The GPU is attached to motherboard PCIe x16 slot. Look at your power supply to see what additional power cables are available. Post your intended GPU and we can advise on what power connection is required. Also, can you list the model number for the PSU?

I would expect that your ATX 12V 4 pin connector has a cable attached from the PSU already.
I don't have a GPU decided but since I don't need amazing gaming performance I was thinking something more along the lines of maybe an rtx 480 4 gb or whatever will both work with this PC and will improve my performance a bit. Model pcc130. The cable connected to the ATX_CPU has 2 brown and 2 black wires leading to the PSU and I assume it's in use but I don't plan on unplugging it to find out. If I don't need any power from the motherboard via a cable connecting to an atx, would I just follow all of the other standard steps for putting a GPU in?
And again would I better off just upgrading my CPU to a newer model and relying off of integrated graphics or buying a GPU (and any other possible "accessories" and possibly a PSU if the one I have wouldn't be enough) for the ability to increase graphics a bit within games, also would one cost a lot more than the other?

RealBeast

Titan
You should leave the ATX12V plugged in. That power cable has no other use than for that connector and should be left attached. There are many inexpensive cards that will give you better performance and do not require external power, they run off the PCIe x16 power only.

Yes, you would simply shutdown that computer, and then add a GPU, attach monitor, and startup. Best to download the GPU driver first but your computer should start up with a generic Windows driver.

What is your preferred $ budget for an add on GPU?

Nov 17, 2022
You should leave the ATX12V plugged in. That power cable has no other use than for that connector and should be left attached. There are many inexpensive cards that will give you better performance and do not require external power, they run off the PCIe x16 power only.

Yes, you would simply shutdown that computer, and then add a GPU, attach monitor, and startup. Best to download the GPU driver first but your computer should start up with a generic Windows driver.

What is your preferred $ budget for an add on GPU?
I understand what GPUs do and everything but I really don't know where to start with finding the right one, I would spend 100-200 dollars (maybe not new with some of the prices I've been seeing for even the weaker ones). I would also spend that on a CPU (just watching a random video at 1080p uses only 7-11% CPU but when playing games this number increases a lot for games) but no one has actually given advice on which would be better; keep my current old CPU (i3-4130) and buy an ok GPU (no idea like what) or just buy a newer CPU that has a little more GHz, more than 2 cores, should I get one that has a higher turbo boost, and is a newer generation like i7? Again I only want to be able to increase graphical settings a little bit (for example; random lighting thing from Low-Medium to Medium or 3/10 to 5/10 or even higher if I am lucky). I don't need something that will make my computer run amazing like max graphics at 900 fps (monitor is limited anyway). I would prefer the cheaper option if one is like 150 and the other is closer to 75 but would still give me what I'm looking for, a decent improvement, I mean my PC is old after all.

Last edited:
which would be better; keep my current old CPU (i3-4130) and buy an ok GPU (no idea like what) or just buy a newer CPU that has a little more GHz, more than 2 cores,
should I get one that has a higher turbo boost, and is a newer generation like i7?
If you can get cpu upgraded to i7-4770 for not too expensive, that would be a decent upgrade.
This would increase cpu processing capabilities significantly. Will most likely also require cpu cooler upgraded.

Upgrade to newer generation cpu would require motherboard and ram change.
4770, 4790 is max you can upgrade to without need to change motherboard.

For gaming performance upgrade, you could get something like GT 1030.
May be GTX 1050 ti, but you have to check model of your PSU first.
You still haven't given us any info about your PSU.

Nov 17, 2022
If you can get cpu upgraded to i7-4770 for not too expensive, that would be a decent upgrade.
This would increase cpu processing capabilities significantly. Will most likely also require cpu cooler upgraded.

Upgrade to newer generation cpu would require motherboard and ram change.
4770, 4790 is max you can upgrade to without need to change motherboard.

For gaming performance upgrade, you could get something like GT 1030.
May be GTX 1050 ti, but you have to check model of your PSU first.
You still haven't given us any info about your PSU.
Both that CPU and mine use the same socket it seems. Also running a browser playing a video (with too many tabs open) and a game at too high of settings that gives me 30 fps, I'm at roughly 54C max for each of the 2 cores after about 5 minutes. I have a swirly heat sink plus a fan (I clean often) so I think it could handle higher temperatures. My RAM is also fine, though low I can easily find a matching RAM stick at a low price or buy 2 new ones that fit. My PSU model is pcc130. Ac input 100-240v~ 50-60Hz 8.0A. DC input +3.3V===12A & +5.08V===13A > TOTAL 103W MAX, +12Va===12A, +12.0Vb===16A, -12.0V===0.3A, +5.08Vsb===2.5A, TOTAL 300W MAX. I would prefer to spend less if upgrading from a 2 core old CPU to a more recent 4 core CPU would still increase my performance the same as if I bought an ok GPU that costs more for basically the same results or as same as you can get in this case.

This one?

71+wuqRed5L._AC_SL1440_.jpg

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
to the OP. The best gpu that does not need external power is the GTX 1650.

but we need to know first what kind of power supply you have. Also what pc case do you have? Case needs to be big enough for the gpu to fit in.

Reactions: RealBeast

RealBeast

Titan
to the OP. The best gpu that does not need external power is the GTX 1650.

but we need to know first what kind of power supply you have. Also what pc case do you have? Case needs to be big enough for the gpu to fit in.
He has a 300W PSU, which is the minimum recommended for the GTX1650, which run under $150 open box at Newegg or new at EBay. The big issue remaining is case space and if he needs the low profile version.

Reactions: Tac 25

TRENDING THREADS