Can't find files supposedly taking up 60Gb

I looked at a friend's machine today - wouldn't boot, and I eventually got
it working using chkdsk in the recovery console.

Afterwards I gave it the "once over", and was surprised to see, in
Explorer's Properties popup, that 60Gb of the "183Gb" disk was in use. I
loaded and ran a nifty little utility called "Treesize" which give a folder
breakdown of disk usage, and that could only find about 6Gb.

I've never seen this before. Is it just that XP is incorrectly detecting
the size of what seems to be a very large disk (in a standard PC bought
recently) or could there be something sinister going on? The chap has about
150Mb of music downloads on the machine, but doesn't have broadband, so it's
unlikely to be an involuntary P2P server.

--
####################
## PH, London

Well, one place that "hides" information is the restore
points. I don't remember the exact sequence, but they
are out of sight -- if he has the restore size set large, it
could be a significant chunk of it.

mikey

"Philip Herlihy" <foof8501@herlihy.eu.veil.com> wrote in message
> I looked at a friend's machine today - wouldn't boot, and I eventually got
> it working using chkdsk in the recovery console.
>
> Afterwards I gave it the "once over", and was surprised to see, in
> Explorer's Properties popup, that 60Gb of the "183Gb" disk was in use. I
> loaded and ran a nifty little utility called "Treesize" which give a
folder
> breakdown of disk usage, and that could only find about 6Gb.
>
> I've never seen this before. Is it just that XP is incorrectly detecting
> the size of what seems to be a very large disk (in a standard PC bought
> recently) or could there be something sinister going on? The chap has
about
> 150Mb of music downloads on the machine, but doesn't have broadband, so
it's
> unlikely to be an involuntary P2P server.
>
> --
> ## PH, London

Thanks, Mike & Craig - I'll look into these suggestions. Certainly hadn't
thought of the Restore Points!

--
## PH, London