[SOLVED] Can't format my 64gb usb drive

Lasith

Commendable
Jan 17, 2020
I have 64gb usb drive that can't format anyway. I tried using disk managment, easeus, cmd and even kali linux. Usb drive filled with 20 gb files. I can't even delete them. PLEASE HELP

Solution
The brand is named " Blitzwoif ". I bought it from their official store.
The issue is i can read files in usb drive. They are not corrupted. I can't delete,copy them.

Must be fake. Anyways, you can try the solutions posted before me and also make sure it is not infected at all.

My solution for an infected USB drive:
  • download Rkill
  • download Malwarebytes
  • download Avast
  • download USB Disk Security

1. Run Rkill to kill malicious programs running in the background that is possibly blocking you from using your drive.
  2. Run Malwarebytes for FULL SCAN including the flash drive.
  3. Run Avast so it can block incoming infections.
  4. Run USB Disk Security to block autorun files from USB drive.
  5. Format it or...
make sure there isn't a small write protect switch on the drive anywhere. If there is not, then I would do full virus and malware scans of your entire systems including the flash drive.

If there are no infections of any kind, then it's likely there is a problem with the drive.

What actually HAPPENS when you try to format or delete files? What messages or errors do you see?

Reactions: Lasith

Lasith

Commendable
Jan 17, 2020
It is usual error msg. When i tried diskpart clean option it says " device I/O error". I checked surface test but not found any errors, bad sectors. The some files in usb drive readable. But can't create new files or delete files.

I don't know what help you expect to find. You've already tried all the standard methods. The drive is bad. Throw it away or return it, and get a new one. That is really the ONLY options you have. If you can't format the drive, can't delete any information on it or read files, then there is an obviously physical problem. Since you've tried Linux based solutions we can rule out it being a Windows problem. There is no fix for a failed piece of hardware that I know of.

Reactions: Lasith and mkaafy
I do agree with Darkbreeze when it's time to throw in the towel it's time.

As a last resort try rufus

https://sourceforge.net/projects/rufus.mirror/

No this is not a tool for fixing USB drive's that have gone nuts But on accident I came across it's hidden power to bring some lost to the world, drives back.

when you give rufus control to take over the "said" USB drive it does not care what condition the file system is in, If the USB drive is in okay state to begin with.

I have to date just had one corsair USB that refuses to be fixed by rufus ........YMMV

mkaafy

Reputable
Jan 14, 2020
Please Help me...

There are these two famous proprietary softwares by the name of "Paragon Partition Manager" and "Minitool Partition Wizard" which can also be run at boot outside of the OS. (Secure Boot must be disabled in BIOS, though.)
I have used these before. However, the community version does not support wiping data.

By the way, have you tried "shred" or similar packages on linux? (You haven't said what you have tried on linux.)

You'd better use diskpart or Attribute Changer to check if your disk is read-only and if it was, clear the read-only flag.

Also take a look at your drive permissions for administrator which is accessible on "Security" tab when you click on properties of your disk.

If these solutions didn't help, It's most likely a hardware problem and it should be shown on device manager.

Last edited:

Lasith

Commendable
Jan 17, 2020
The issue is i can read files in usb drive. They are not corrupted. I can't delete,copy them.

madartzgraphics

Reputable
Jun 29, 2019

Must be fake. Anyways, you can try the solutions posted before me and also make sure it is not infected at all.

My solution for an infected USB drive:
  • download Rkill
  • download Malwarebytes
  • download Avast
  • download USB Disk Security

1. Run Rkill to kill malicious programs running in the background that is possibly blocking you from using your drive.
  2. Run Malwarebytes for FULL SCAN including the flash drive.
  3. Run Avast so it can block incoming infections.
  4. Run USB Disk Security to block autorun files from USB drive.
  5. Format it or test it if usable and recover data.
NOTE: If it's an infection, you need to clean both your drive and your PC.

Reactions: Lasith
Solution