Question Can't Game on LTE

robinson.tris

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
I recently upgraded my internet to LTE because our ADSL was absolutely atrocious.

Problem is I can't game online with it. The download speed is very fast and i can browse the web, but on any game like Fallout 76 or Elder Scrolls Online I say play and I can't connect to the server.

I've set my DNS to the google 8.8.8.8 and secondary 8.8.4.4 but no luck.
I've reset my firewall settings and allowed access, I called my ISP and requested an IP reset but that did not work either. I have no idea how to proceed.

Also, it is a big router not a pocket router
Huawei B525S
There is no fiber infrastructure in my area in the near future

Better to just run gaming on ADSL and run everything else on LTE.

Games do not care about bandwidth they care about consistent latency. LTE is almost impossible to predict since it varies depending on how many other people are also using the same tower. It actually works really well when you have a strong signal on a tower that is not congested.

ADSL is really slow but you have dedicated bandwidth which means you get consistent latency as long as you do not over utilize it.

BUT it almost sound like you are saying the games do not work at all not that they perform very poorly. I would check the firewall setting on your PC it may think you are on a public network and block the ports the games use. The LTE network itself does not block ports. It will prevent you from playing games where you need to host the game on your console/pc because of NAT but the games you list use central servers so that can not be it.

robinson.tris

Reputable
Oct 23, 2017
Better to just run gaming on ADSL and run everything else on LTE.

Games do not care about bandwidth they care about consistent latency. LTE is almost impossible to predict since it varies depending on how many other people are also using the same tower. It actually works really well when you have a strong signal on a tower that is not congested.

ADSL is really slow but you have dedicated bandwidth which means you get consistent latency as long as you do not over utilize it.

BUT it almost sound like you are saying the games do not work at all not that they perform very poorly. I would check the firewall setting on your PC it may think you are on a public network and block the ports the games use. The LTE network itself does not block ports. It will prevent you from playing games where you need to host the game on your console/pc because of NAT but the games you list use central servers so that can not be it.
How would I go about changing the firewall settings ?
What settings do i change

It is a windows 10 firewall setting. I can't say exactly I just click though until I find what I want. most times it has a default set of rules for private or public networks. There is a option to temporarily disable it if you can't find the other option.

It may not be the firewall. I have tried a number of games over LTE and it works mostly ok when you have good signal. Your problem is strange because the ISP will not block ports. It is acting like only web surfing is allowed and it is hard to say what would cause that.