Question Can't get 2 sticks of DDR4 to POST w/ X.M.P but 1 will

Braaxton

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
I'd like to preface that I have very limited knowledge/experience with RAM and have gone through Darkbreeze's troubleshoot guide as closely as I can before posting.

Specs (original):
Intel I7 7700k @ 4.2GHz (No O.C.)
ASUS ROG Strix 2070
ASUS Z170-E Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz C14

New Memory:
Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16) DDR4 3200MHz C16

I have had the original specs system running stable for the last few months with the standard X.M.P. profile active keeping it at 2400MHz.

Today I installed the new memory listed above and was able to boot fine with no XMP profile at 2133MHz with both sticks and everything else looking good.
When I would try to enable the XMP profile I was not able to get the memory to POST or the computer to boot. Going through Darkbreeze's guide I removed the second stick and was able to get one to POST with and without the XMP profile enabled at 3200MHz. However installing the second stick and enabling the XMP profile caused it to fail again.

• I also double checked that I was using the correct memory slots for one and two sticks
  • Raised the DRAM Voltage step by step up to 1.45v attempting to POST after every change
  • Currently running fine with one stick with XMP enabled

It doesn't seem to be a compatibility issue with one running fine but I don't know nearly enough about playing with any settings to troubleshoot any further myself.
Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Rexer

Distinguished
Last year I built an i7 8700k machine using an Asus RoG Strix Z370 H motherboard. I couldn't get the bios to function and missing two dimm slots. Ended up getting an RMA on the board. They loaded a newer bios.
You might give them a jingle. It's a pain.
Hope this helps.

strix

Braaxton

Honorable
Dec 2, 2016
Last year I built an i7 8700k machine using an Asus RoG Strix Z370 H motherboard. I couldn't get the bios to function and missing two dimm slots. Ended up getting an RMA on the board. They loaded a newer bios.
You might give them a jingle. It's a pain.
Hope this helps.

strix

Oh boy, hopefully I can avoid an RMA with the sticks working with the board in some capacity. I forgot to mention I also updated the BIOS that added some DRAM compatibility but that did not help either.
Thanks for the reply!

Overclocking may impact the ability to run fast ram.
One thing to check is your motherboard bios level.
Often, there are updates that impact ram compatibility issues.

Remove the overclock for testing purposes.
Run memtest86 to verify that both sticks run ok at stock.
Then implement XMP and see how you do.