Question Can't get 5.1 audio from 3070 XC3 --> Pioneer AVR (VSX-933)

andsoitgoes

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2014
EDIT: so going through the troubleshooter has made things.... worse. I have now lost my center channel and the controller information in the AV receiver settings now shows "High Definition Audio Device" instead of nvidia as it did previously. I'm not sure what I did but I've been able to get it back to Nvidia high definition audio, however still no surround. Oddly under "jack information" it says L R HDMI Digital Jack, not sure if that's relevant?

Hi everyone,

Built my computer last year. Finally getting around to hooking it up to my TV but I'm in a weird spot.

I can't get 5.1 audio working.

I currently have the following configuruation:

3070 XC3 ---> Display Port Out to Monitor at 144hz
---> HDMI Port Out to AVR at 60hz (fastest the cable will support)

I've downloaded and set up all the dolby codecs which, I know, won't work over the cable I've got (it's an older cable) so I don't care about that, I just want 5.1 surround.

Going into the Windows Sound panel, I cannot get any of the speakers beyond the front 3 to work. Doesn't matter what I select under audio channels, the L, C, R work but the sub and any of the surrounds do not.

In the windows settings under "spatial audio" sometimes it will show 5 or 7.1 surround, but if I try to make changes to that it forces it back to stereo.

If I select dolby atmos or the others and test, I see the test working and "playing" sound on the volume bar, but nothing comes out of the rears or the sub.

All my drivers are up to date.

I've gone and downloaded netflix and tested the "test channels" but also only get the front 3 speakers.

I'm losing my mind. I don't know what else to change for settings.

My other system details:

X570 Unify Motherboard
5600x AMD CPU
16gb G.Skill Ram
3070 XC3 Video Card
LG Ultragear 1080p Monitor with GSync Support

Last edited: