[SOLVED] Can't Get G.Skill RAM to run at Advertised Speed

Jun 15, 2020
CPU: Intel i7-8700k
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z370-A
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
GPU: Nvidia 1070 Ti

My RAM is advertised to run at 3200 MHz at 1.35V, but I can't get it to run that fast in my system. If I turn XMP on and use the default profile given, the computer fails to boot. There is no output to the display and an orange DRAM LED lights up on my motherboard. Currently, the fastest I have been able to get my system to boot is 2800 MHz and 1.35V on the RAM. I have tried upping the voltage to 1.4V to see if that would allow me to get more speed, but the computer failed to boot like that as well. Does anyone have any advice? I am really stumped as to why this is occurring. There should not be any compatibility issues.

I also don't believe either stick of RAM to be faulty, as I managed to get both of them to pass memtest86 individually. They also pass memtest86 at 2800 MHz together.

Jun 15, 2020
Not all memory will work at its rated speed in all systems. If you let the system select its own speed (AUTO or DEFAULT setting in BIOS), how fast is the memory set to?

Also, what is the exact/full model number of your memory?

Without XMP, it defaults to 2133 MHz. With XMP on it defaults to 3200 MHz, but the computer fails to boot. It's weird too—I can hit the MemOK button and it will say that it was successful, but then it doesn't actually change any BIOS settings and my computer fails to boot after saving & resetting in BIOS. I've also tried resetting the CMOS, but that had no effect.

Also, the full name for my RAM is

G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit F4-3200C16D-16GVKB - Black

Jun 15, 2020
Not all memory will work at its rated speed in all systems. If you let the system select its own speed (AUTO or DEFAULT setting in BIOS), how fast is the memory set to?

Also, what is the exact/full model number of your memory?

Actually, my apologies, the AUTO speed with XMP enabled is 2133 MHz.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Using XMP profiles only, have you tried stepping up the speed settings (i.e., 2400, 2666, 3000, etc)? to see if the system is stable?

I had a Gen 1 Ryzen system with 3200 rated memory. That config absolutely would not run at 3200, but was (and still is) stable at 3000 (a family member now uses it). Strange things can and do happen.

Reactions: Secret Ice

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You could be stuck at 2800 then anything over 2666 is a overclock setting for that processor and is not guaranteed to run stable at advertised, speed, timings, and or voltage.

You could try manually entering the speed and timings and loosen the timings a bit with a 0.02 or so bump in voltage.

The good thing is Intel is not that dependent on memory speed as AMD is.

Reactions: Secret Ice
Jun 15, 2020
Using XMP profiles only, have you tried stepping up the speed settings (i.e., 2400, 2666, 3000, etc)? to see if the system is stable?

I had a Gen 1 Ryzen system with 3200 rated memory. That config absolutely would not run at 3200, but was (and still is) stable at 3000 (a family member now uses it). Strange things can and do happen.
Yes, I tried stepping it up and it maxed out at 2900 before the computer wouldnt boot. I guess this is the max for me :/