Question Can't get inside BIOS

hemal_301080

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Here is a link to do what you want from windows:
Tried this on Windows 11. Screen went blank after doing this. There is nothing on screen to choose from so can't enter here. PC restarts with an ENTER key and again, Windows 11 comes directly without BIOS screen.

Now removed Graphics Card, using onboard Graphics, BIOS and Windows 11 working fine. Some threads suggested to enable CSM from BIOS. But I did not try that due to fear of damaging Windows 11.

hemal_301080

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
I thought you have issue going into bios to do thing.
BIOS is accessible with on board graphics. When using graphics card, it's not showing and directly loads Windows 11 and then display arrives.

I feels the issue is, old graphics card is not UEFI compatible so can't load UEFI BIOS. Got to know from GPUz.

New card might be with UEFI so it may work.

One solution I found was to enable CSM but thought of not trying it to use and old card.

hemal_301080

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
One normally wants to enter bios to make changes like secure boot, fast boot ram or overclock settings.
Past that you boot to windows in the normal way.
That's practical and good way to accept this. We hardly need BIOS on regular basis. Booting into OS directly is also a good way. But something not accessible bothered me so tried hard to get a workaround.

I think, three options available for me.

1 - Forget BIOS and use old graphics card with Windows 11

2 - Use on board graphics and get BIOS accessible whenever I want.

3 - Try enabling CSM with onboard graphics first. Then insert old separate graphics card and see if it boots with non UEFI environment. I am afraid of doing this though.

Old graphics card gen requires csm or legacy bios to be recognized.
The transition point to uefi was about the GTX7xx gen.
Your HD7700 is hardly stronger than current integrated graphics.
I would just use integrated. But, if you set the bios to csm, you can use that.

I would use option 2.

option 3 will work, but hey bother?

hemal_301080

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2012
Old graphics card gen requires csm or legacy bios to be recognized.
The transition point to uefi was about the GTX7xx gen.
Your HD7700 is hardly stronger than current integrated graphics.
I would just use integrated. But, if you set the bios to csm, you can use that.

I would use option 2.

option 3 will work, but hey bother?
Yes, UHD 730 is almost equal to HD 7770.
So I will use intel graphics for a while. I am sure new graphics card will be with UEFI compatibilities. I am planning to buy Sapphire RX 6600 8GB for this. So I think that will work fine with this.

I also welcome if you can suggest a good graphics card in a budget range for good gaming and nice Windows look and feel with coding on visual studio.

Thank you

I do not change graphics cards with any degree of frequency so I am not the one to advise on this.
In graphics, you mostly get what you pay for.
Tom's gpu hierarchy chart will give you the relative performance levels.

Long time ago, I had problems with the amd drivers and have been using nvidia since.
You will find that people tout what they have.
Since you are familiar with the amd driver ecosystem, you probably will be more comfortable with amd.

Reactions: hemal_301080