[SOLVED] Can't get into bios after GPU upgrade. GPU is fully functional

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
Hey, I recently managed to get a hold of a 3080 and after I installed it I started getting some strange issues when it comes to accessing the bios. As soon as I installed the card it started taking longer than normal to boot, and would completely skip the ASUS ROG screen that usually pops up on power up. It goes completely from no video signal (monitors black, not even powered, ) to at the windows login screen and skips every step in between. I updated chipset drivers. graphics drivers, and everything else I could think of with no luck. Finally I updated my bios (I'm using a Maximus X Hero board) and it temporarily solved the problem and allowed me to get into the bios. Now it has reverted to not allowing me to enter the bios despite having the latest drivers and software available. The strangest thing is that if I remove the GPU and plug directly into the mobo and use integrated graphics it works completely fine. If I even try to get into the bios now I get error code B4 after spamming delete and the PC won't boot (this only happens if I try to get into bios. The pc boots fine if left alone). I am completely stumped on this one. It seems to be completely graphics related (maybe something to do with pcie gen 4 card on a gen 3 mobo?) but I haven't seen anyone else with this issue. Does anyone have any clue how to resolve this?

Update: Was playing cyberpunk and noticed that my overclock (5ghz on an 8700k) was not holding and it was dipping down below 4ghz even with a 50 degree temp and it running perfectly fine for months beforehand. Reset the cmos and still can't get into the bios with the GPU in. I have been experiencing some of the weirdest errors ever due to this. The pc now will not boot off the GPU whatsoever. I know that the GPU is not dead and I know that the rest of the pc is functional. It is only when I put them together that problems start

Solution
Connect your monitor to the motherboards integrated GPU ports.
I think you not have set the GPU to Initialize first to PEG or PCIE which would lead to the bios outputting to the integrated.

RRichards

Reputable
Jul 2, 2017
Connect your monitor to the motherboards integrated GPU ports.
I think you not have set the GPU to Initialize first to PEG or PCIE which would lead to the bios outputting to the integrated.
I was thought that might be the issue. The strangest thing is that this never happened with my old 1080ti. Seems that the 3080 may have caused some weirdness . I'll give it a try tomorrow and see what happens