Question Can't get M.2980 PRO as bootable drive?

Mar 5, 2022
Hello! My friend bought some new hardware, including MOBO (Asus ROG Strix 550-F Gaming) and an M.2 SSD (SAMSUNG 980 PRO)

BIOS detects the SSD but i can't get it as an boot option. I've made sure the SSD is formated and is an GPT drive. I made two different bootable USBs, including windows tool AND rufus.

I've made sure NO other HHDs or SSDs are connected.

I've tried with and without secure boot and CSM.

Any idéas?

Windows can install it onto the SSD without ANY problems. It shows up in BIOS but won't show up in the boot list. Only the UEFI USB.....

Latest BIOS is Version 2423 I'm running Version 2403. There's an 2 month update inbetweem the updates. I tried updating but it didn't work, doesnt feel like an version issue though.

Any help? :D

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What OS are you trying to install? You should be able to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools provided you've been working with a 16GB pen drive. Which slot did you populate on the board with the M.2 SSD? Processor used for the build?

Mar 5, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What OS are you trying to install? You should be able to fabricate your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools provided you've been working with a 16GB pen drive. Which slot did you populate on the board with the M.2 SSD? Processor used for the build?
Hello! I'm installing Windows 10. I've tried both M.2 slots. Currently using the top one. But, tried both. I'm using a 16GB pen drive. I've tried both Windows Media Creation Tools and a rufus guide.

Processor is an AMD RYZEN 5 5600x

Hello! My friend bought some new hardware, including MOBO (Asus ROG Strix 550-F Gaming) and an M.2 SSD (SAMSUNG 980 PRO)

BIOS detects the SSD but i can't get it as an boot option. I've made sure the SSD is formated and is an GPT drive. I made two different bootable USBs, including windows tool AND rufus.
Normally the ssd does not have to be formatted; it is best after installing the GPT initialzer if the remaining space on the ssd is totally unallocated. The Windows installer does all of the necessary partitioning and formatting.

Mar 5, 2022
Normally the ssd does not have to be formatted; it is best after installing the GPT initialzer if the remaining space on the ssd is totally unallocated. The Windows installer does all of the necessary partitioning and formatting.
I've mad sure to check that Windows Installer does actually confirm it's an unallocated space when installing.

Reactions: dwd999

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
You have installed Windows and can boot into it, right?

Can you show a shot of Disk Management from withing Windows?
Upload shot/image to imgur.com and post link here.
Is the boot/system drive a basic drive or a dynamic drive? You might have made a dynamic drive while formatting it and changing to GPT.

Mar 5, 2022
You have installed Windows and can boot into it, right?

Can you show a shot of Disk Management from withing Windows?
Upload shot/image to imgur.com and post link here.
Is the boot/system drive a basic drive or a dynamic drive? You might have made a dynamic drive while formatting it and changing to GPT.
I can't boot into it. Thats the problem. I can install windows to it, but BIOS won't letme choose it as an boot option... That'sthe only harddrive i have avalible

Mar 5, 2022
Maybe the BIOS update would resovle this. Can you check the M.2 SSD in another system?
It might... I didn't manage to update it though. Used ezflash and when I pressed "yes" it just froze.

I haven't checked that ssd, but I took my m.2 which is an 970 and put it in. It booted straight into my m.2.... Faulty ssd?

Mar 5, 2022
It might... I didn't manage to update it though. Used ezflash and when I pressed "yes" it just froze.

I haven't checked that ssd, but I took my m.2 which is an 970 and put it in. It booted straight into my m.2.... Faulty ssd?
I went in to disk mangament through my m.2 and saw that his m.2 was showing up just fine. It was online and healthy.