[SOLVED] Can't get past BIOS after buying new CPU

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
I bought a new CPU today (Ryzen 5 3600) to replace my old Ryzen 5 1500x. I've installed it and it powers on like everything else in the computer however I cannot get past the BIOS screen. Before installing the CPU I updated the BIOS twice to F40. In BIOS there are no boot sources available despite my SSD being plugged in, I've swapped the SSD with an old HDD and nothing changed. I've tried both using different SATA cables and there is still no boot sources. Both of the drives are receiving power. Any ideas?
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Gtx 1070
480gb crucial ssd
16gb of crucial ram
550W PSU
AB350M-Gaming motherboard

Solution
Haven't changed the bios or anything yet, just reset cmos by taking out battery and shorting pins.
Check boot settings in BIOS.
Enable both UEFI and legacy modes (UEFI+ CSM).

Check boot priority settings. If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then Windows Boot Manager has to be first in boot order.
I bought a new CPU today (Ryzen 5 3600) to replace my old Ryzen 5 1500x. I've installed it and it powers on like everything else in the computer however I cannot get past the BIOS screen. Before installing the CPU I updated the BIOS twice to F40. In BIOS there are no boot sources available despite my SSD being plugged in, I've swapped the SSD with an old HDD and nothing changed. I've tried both using different SATA cables and there is still no boot sources. Both of the drives are receiving power. Any ideas?
Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Gtx 1070
480gb crucial ssd
16gb of crucial ram
550W PSU
AB350M-Gaming motherboard
Did you do a complete CMOS reset? For that board (I have one too!) I'd suggest disconnecting power plug, pulling the battery and shorting the reset pins for a few minutes... maybe 1/2 hour. That board was one of Gigabyte's boards famous for serious glitches early on unless given a proper CMOS reset like that.

EDIT add: just noticed bios rev you're using...that's a bad one. F40 was the FIRST rev for Ryzen 3000, with AGESA 1002 which was buggy as heck.

Go get F50a instead, with AGESA 1004b that fixed things up proper like. And do the complete CMOS reset after too.

Last edited:
Reactions: bohemond1099

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
Did you do a complete CMOS reset? For that board (I have one too!) I'd suggest disconnecting power plug, pulling the battery and shorting the reset pins for a few minutes... maybe 1/2 hour. That board was one of Gigabyte's boards famous for serious glitches early on unless given a proper CMOS reset like that.

EDIT add: just noticed bios rev you're using...that's a bad one. F40 was the FIRST rev for Ryzen 3000, with AGESA 1002 which was buggy as heck.

Go get F50a instead, with AGESA 1004b that fixed things up proper like. And do the complete CMOS reset after too.
How exactly can I short the pins? And should I try Q-flash update to F50a first then CMOS reset or reset twice before and after? Thanks for the reply, been here hours feeling defeated haha

How exactly can I short the pins? And should I try Q-flash update to F50a first then CMOS reset or reset twice before and after? Thanks for the reply, been here hours feeling defeated haha

I assume you know where the pins are? That's covered in the manual. They make jumpers to short the pins, but you do not need one any piece of metal will do. I short mine by sticking a screwdriver between them and propping it there while I get a cuppa.

You don't have to reset CMOS twice in a row, but doing a CMOS reset before and after updating BIOS is not a bad thing. I can't remember...is QFlash the in-BIOS utility for updating it? If so, that's the way to do it! I would avoid the one that works within Windows.

The reason resetting CMOS is important is that the different BIOS versions may use the same CMOS memory locations for different functions. So 'zeroing' them out helps to make sure it doesn't see strange settings and flip out.

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
I assume you know where the pins are? That's covered in the manual. They make jumpers to short the pins, but you do not need one any piece of metal will do. I short mine by sticking a screwdriver between them and propping it there while I get a cuppa.

You don't have to reset CMOS twice in a row, but doing a CMOS reset before and after updating BIOS is not a bad thing. I can't remember...is QFlash the in-BIOS utility for updating it? If so, that's the way to do it! I would avoid the one that works within Windows.

The reason resetting CMOS is important is that the different BIOS versions may use the same CMOS memory locations for different functions. So 'zeroing' them out helps to make sure it doesn't see strange settings and flip out.
Hey I did reset CMOS and I've just plugged everything back in but now I cant get a signal on my monitor? The manual says this is because the bios isnt compatible which is kind of a good sign since it means I'm on an old bios but I cant access the bios now to update to F50a

Hey I did reset CMOS and I've just plugged everything back in but now I cant get a signal on my monitor? The manual says this is because the bios isnt compatible which is kind of a good sign since it means I'm on an old bios but I cant access the bios now to update to F50a
What BIOS are you on? and what CPU? F40 should work at least to get into the BIOS with the 3600.

ALSO...the AB350M has dual BIOS. I never figured how it works, but it may be taking you to the back-up BIOS somehow. Putting the 1500X back in might work.

Last edited:

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
What BIOS are you on? and what CPU? F40 should work at least to get into the BIOS with the 3600.
Haven't changed the bios or anything yet, just reset cmos by taking out battery and shorting pins. Then turned my pc back on and everything powers on, LEDs on the mobo etc but no signal to monitor

Joj

Apr 22, 2020

ALSO...the AB350M has dual BIOS. I never figured how it works, but it may be taking you to the back-up BIOS somehow. Putting the 1500X back in might work.
So I will put the 1500x in, update to f50a (if it works) then replace with new 3600. Clear CMOS once more and give an update?

What BIOS are you on? and what CPU?

Haven't changed the bios or anything yet, just reset cmos by taking out battery and shorting pins. Then turned my pc back on and everything powers on, LEDs on the mobo etc but no signal to monitor
Do you have a speaker attached and does it beep at you? I can't remember if it has troubleshooting led's; i used a speaker.

Again, I'd try each processor. Your board could be reverting to the backup BIOS which may not be ryzen 3000 compatible.

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
An update: Put my old cpu back in and it booted to windows but now I cant install it because it says my ssd is part of the GPT partition style?
My boot options have reappeared.
1:SSD
2:Windows boot manager
3: USB drive with windows on
What order should I do and what settings do I change? Also, should I update BIOS whilst I'm here?

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
Check boot settings in BIOS.
Enable both UEFI and legacy modes (UEFI+ CSM).

Check boot priority settings. If windows was installed in UEFI mode, then Windows Boot Manager has to be first in boot order.
I can't enable both, on the storage boot priority setting I can disable, legacy or uefi mode only? Csm support is enabled. I posted an update below if you wouldn't mind taking a look? Cheers

Last edited:

Joj

Apr 22, 2020
Final update: it's working I think, managed to boot windows from my SSD after following advice from the two people who replied here, cannot thank them enough. For anyone else who has this issue, plug in your old CPU, clear CMOS and update to newest bios (after going to f31 first), restart and check everything still works. Plug in new cpu and it should work

Final update: it's working I think, managed to boot windows from my SSD after following advice from the two people who replied here, cannot thank them enough. For anyone else who has this issue, plug in your old CPU, clear CMOS and update to newest bios (after going to f31 first), restart and check everything still works. Plug in new cpu and it should work

There was also a note about running the "EC FW update Tool" prior to doing the update to F40. I have no idea what it does precisely. The note said it helps with 4 DIMM's compatibility though, maybe not an issue if you're running with only 2.

But otherwise, it's good to know you're up and running now :)

Reactions: DMAN999