Can't increase resolution >640*480

G

Hi!
I have the following problem: With the NVidia drivers (no matter which version, I think I tried everything from 3.79 to the newest), I cannot switch to a resolution higher than 640*480. If I try to do this, the monitor blacks out for half a second, and a dialog pops up telling me I changed my resolution (which didn't happen, its still 640*480) and whether I want to keep it. If I say yes, fine, if I say no, it blacks out again and I'm in 640 - again...

It IS possible to set color depth, that works!

This happens with all the driver versions I've tried. It happens with a Viper770 (TNT2) under Win98 and WinME. It also happens with a GeForce MX under WinME with both DirectX7 AND 8.

I've tried everything. I've completely removed the old drivers, deleted registry keys, reinstalled, searched in the registry etc. It can't be the monitor, I normally used it at 1280x1024, and the monitor settings ARE correct.

I CAN'T POSSIBLY BE THE ONLY ONE HAVING THIS PROBLEM!!! PLEASE, HELP ME!!!!

Thank you!

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check system properties to see what monitor you have installed, nvidia drivers for some reason some times have issues with the standard monitor drivers. also. Boot into safe mode and remove all the monitors except for the one you are using, chances are you will see several. One last thing although you are stuck in 640 x 480 are you able to achieve 16 or 32 bit color?

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

jobe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
First I would check the Motherboard Manufacturer for AGP drivers or updates of anykind as I had the same problem with a Asus P5A board and I diamond graphics cards.

If there is none then I would boot the computer into safe mode and you'll probrably find either more then one video card installed or more then one montior installed. You want to remove all of them out of device manager from safe mode and reboot.

It should re-detect and it should work from there.

jObE

G

I had a problem similar to this once. To fix it I had to up the color depth (16 or 32bit, preferably 32bit) then restart. Once restarted make sure the color depth remains at what you set it, then try to change the resolution. That was how I fixed my prob.

G

I had the same problem as well when tinkering with the detonator drivers.

How I solved this dillemna was to completely uninstall the drivers and then, instead of clicking the isntallation method, unzipped the files to a separate directory and manual installed the driver by selecting it in the list.

It seems that the installation methods were having fun with 98. Directly telling it what driver and card seems to be the way for me.

The Jolly Wizened Oaf!

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
try changing the monitor from default to what your monitor is or something like 1024X768 75hz (if you have good monitor) or something similar

G

did you install the *CORRECT* monitor .inf file?
try install the file that come with your monitor.
if you don't have one, try use plug and play monitor if your monitor support it.

you can also try install the super vga 1024x768 @75hz

still fail?! plug and pray :(

good luck.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>