Question Cant insert RAM in adjacent slots... i.e. in 1,2 or 3,4 at same time!

Jul 27, 2019
I have 4 RAMs, 3x2 GB and 1x1GB... All of these RAMs are working individually or when placed in 1,3 port; 1,4 ports or 2,3 and 2,4 ports, that mean I can only use 2 of them, and if insert them in such a way that they are not adjacent to each other.
4968212551.jpg

This is my motherboard pic...
As you can see there are 2 pairs of RAM slots... so if I put two RAMs in a pair adjacent to each other, they wont work...(beep); otherwise they are all good!

I checked out HP support and there is mentioned that I can use 8 GB of RAM on this Board!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums my friend! To confirm i have understood the problem; you have mixed RAM modules, and they won't work when you put them in any way asides in 1 + 3 or 2+4?

Firstly, the RAM modules should be inputted as per the motherboard manual.
Secondly, mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility, RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same packs) - regardless as to the make/model or capacity of the board.

Also some memory controllers are not so good at handling all 4 DIMMS populated, especially with mixed modules.

What exact set up have you tried that works, and what doesn't work?

Reactions: sdstrait
Jul 27, 2019
Welcome to the forums my friend! To confirm i have understood the problem; you have mixed RAM modules, and they won't work when you put them in any way asides in 1 + 3 or 2+4?

Firstly, the RAM modules should be inputted as per the motherboard manual.
Secondly, mixed RAM modules are not guaranteed compatibility, RAM is only guaranteed in the form sold (from the same packs) - regardless as to the make/model or capacity of the board.

Also some memory controllers are not so good at handling all 4 DIMMS populated, especially with mixed modules.

What exact set up have you tried that works, and what doesn't work?

Thank you!
Actually the slot numbering is as follows;
Slot 1
Slot 2

Slot 3
Slot 4

Exactly! When I insert RAM in 1 and 2 at the same time, or 3 or 4 at the same time, my pc dont show any display and beeps... I have also tried to insert RAM of 2GB on slot 1,2 and 3,4 as well, but it also dont show any display... even if i insert same modules in a pair it beeps.
Dont you think I have to change my motherboard?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
The RAM should be inserted into slot 1+3 and 2+4. This is dual channel architecture.

Also again with my previous comment:

What RAM modules do you have that have come from the same pack?

Jul 27, 2019
The RAM should be inserted into slot 1+3 and 2+4. This is dual channel architecture.

Also again with my previous comment:

What RAM modules do you have that have come from the same pack?
I have 3 same Rams and they are working... other one is different... but even if i insert same 3 rams they dont work... but two them does...!!!

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I have 3 same Rams and they are working... other one is different... but even if i insert same 3 rams they dont work... but two them does...!!!
Are they from the exact same pack, or just the same model? If they are the same model, then my original point still applies, they're not guaranteed to be compatible.

Additionally, some memory controllers can struggle to run 3 DIMMs, even more so if they are from different packs, as it's having to balance all of them in dual channel.

Have you tried each RAM module in each slot one at a time to verify you don't have a faulty module or a faulty slot?