Cant install 8800 gtx

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Hi, i currently have my geforce sitting inside my computer, but i cannot install any nvidia drivers, all come up with errors, saying that the it cannot detect any compatible hardware:

My power supply is sli compatibe
gf card has sufficient power and is seated properly
i can still run windows (im in 1024 x 768 defualt resolution typing this post)
ive tried the drivers from the cd, and from nvidia website
ive run windows update
ive tried driver cleaner and removed nvidia driver

no idea what to do..can anyone help?

My specs:
gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
intel 6300
2 gb geil ram
point of view geforce 8800gtx
Hiper Type-R 550

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Hi, i currently have my geforce sitting inside my computer, but i cannot install any nvidia drivers, all come up with errors, saying that the it cannot detect any compatible hardware:

My power supply is sli compatibe
gf card has sufficient power and is seated properly
ive tried the drivers from the cd, and from nvidia website
ive run windows update
ive tried driver cleaner and removed nvidia driver

no idea what to do..can anyone help?

My specs:
gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
intel 6300
2 gb geil ram
point of view geforce 8800gtx
Hiper Type-R 550

theres a way to force install them
go to start then to control panel
then click on system
then on hardware and then to Device Manager

there should be a big "!" excalmation in the VGA
double click on it, then to "controller" tap
then click on "update controller "( or driver depends on the OS language )
then chose the correct Nvidia .inf file, and it should force the installation )
if they dont show any "compatiblehardware"

1.- Say no to windows update ( almost 99% probability it will NOT find the driver )
2.- click on the "ADVANCED" way to update the driver (it should say something like "install from a list or a specified location")
3.- the button "Search for most adecuated driver" ( first option)
and unselect the "search in optical drivers CD, DVD" and select the second option ("include this place") or similar.
then click on "EXAMINE" or "BROWSE"
search the directory where the driver of nvidia is, and click next, and then let it install.

the other way is more complex, and requires you to do the same, until you get to the advanced way to update the driver (install from a list or specified location)
but you have to chose the last option "do not search, Ill select the driver to install"

to where you have to
1.- select VGA or "video device" or similars..
2.- find your .inf file of nvidia drivers.
then it should force it to get installed ( PS, it may cause errors sometimes.. )

but that has fixed me some problems with "generic" hardware.
such as my Radeon 9800 pro now defunc ( from hercules, cause hercules did stop releasing drivers for their hardware, and catalyst sometimes didnt work properly )

EDIT
before I forget: remember that the newest drivers of nvidia seems to REQUIRE the FRAMEWORK packages, download them from windowsupdate! ( framework 3 is out, I supose its for nvidia, I only have 1 and 2 with their respective service packs )

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I updated my bios to f10, rebooted, got quick repeating beeping sounds (power problem) whilst re cabling and trying to get the right config for power cables, then get a high pitched whale like squeel. This was because of the card (tested methodically by removing components).

Card doesnt fit properly into my case anyhow, so im going to have to purchase a new case (any thoughts on that?) so now i have put back in my GX2, untill i get a new case... such hassle and anoyance!

Thanks for your advice about the driver thingie btw!

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Ok so i have order the antec 900 case, should come tuesday, hopefully the 8800 will work, but unsure becuase of that high pitched whailing sound it made (very loud). Does nayone happen to know what that sound meant?

My pc has been up and running perfectly all day, so i havnt busted anything in all th ecomotion of trying to tame the 8800 into my case.

weilin

Distinguished
the boot beeping sound is "normal" you must have cpu fan fail alarm enabled. When you turn you're pc on, your processor fan doesnt engage until seconds later. And that alarm goes off to tell you the fan isnt spinning. Once it does, the sound goes away.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
I have waited for the cpu fan to start spinning the sound doesnt go away (it is a very high pitched contstant, not beeping, whale sound, and only thing that was causing it was when i had the gc in.

facedownwh

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2006
Hiper Type-R 580 sli ready

Yeah, that should be enough to power it properly. It has 30A on the +12V rail. The beeping could be what weilin said. I've never heard of that. You're positive that you're trying the install the correct drivers? Did you try what tamalero recommended? In the end, it could just be a busted card.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Well the first time i put the card in with BIOS F6 my pc booted up and i could go into windows fine. But i wasnt able to install the gfx card at all.

After i updated my bios everything went to hell, and then the wailing sound started.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I have waited for the cpu fan to start spinning the sound doesnt go away (it is a very high pitched contstant, not beeping, whale sound, and only thing that was causing it was when i had the gc in.

maybe something is touching one of the fans?
btw, some videocards have very noisy fans,maybe your car comes with a very noisy one?

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
lol...no trust me this is a SCREAMING sound..there isnt a way in hell anyone could mix this up with a normal noise.

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Like the other guys are saying, sounds to me like a fan on the video card with seized up bearings. It'll spin but loudly.

Good choice on the Antec 900. I have that case and two 8800 GTX in SLI. Great case.

High Regards,
Howard

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Like the other guys are saying, sounds to me like a fan on the video card with seized up bearings. It'll spin but loudly.

Good choice on the Antec 900. I have that case and two 8800 GTX in SLI. Great case.

High Regards,
Howard

thanks, it arrives tuesday.. how is the spacing for the 8800? any chance you could post a pic showing me how much room there is?

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
I agree that i think it might be a just a bad card. I have never heard of the company that makes your card but i had a similar problem awhile back while building a friends computer with his card. I installed it and properly secured it in the case, put power to it, started the computer back up and no matter what drivers i would use nothing none would just detected it. Now i could force install but I was still getting errors while installing drivers i decided to contact Newegg ended up RMAin it back got the new one in put it in and BAM drivers found it and installed right from the start. Your PSU looks fine so does everything you have mentioned before. Have you tried contacting the maker of the card ?

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
no not yet, going to give it another try, to 100% check everything is fitting properly, if not i will be rma'ing its but!

Jazzman1284

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2006
Ok so i have order the antec 900 case, should come tuesday, hopefully the 8800 will work, but unsure becuase of that high pitched whailing sound it made (very loud). Does nayone happen to know what that sound meant?

My pc has been up and running perfectly all day, so i havnt busted anything in all th ecomotion of trying to tame the 8800 into my case.

I know EXACTLY what that sound means. It means that your card is not getting enought power! I have a GTX powered by one of those thermaltake add on PSU's that go in the cd drive bay. If I boot my computer without that power supply turned on, the card makes the high pitch squeel that you are hearing. If you look at the card from the cooler side, you will see the little speaker (Upper right if i remember correctly).

Make sure you have both 12V cables securely connected. If this still doesn't work I bet your psu doesn't have enough juice to run the card.

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Sorry cusis,
No such luck. The only digital camera I have my old lady has. I will say the fit is kind of tight, but they will fit with no problems.

Sorry about not being able to supply a pic :(

One 8800 GTX will be no problem trust me.

High Regards,
Howard

Edit: misspelled cusis

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That is exactly what it means! That it is not getting enough power (the VGA). Power the card using a dedicated power line from the PSU. And make sure all the plugs are pushed all the way in and secure. Good luck

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
That may be possible, but if it is, how come the op can run windows or even boot? That means it's at least getting enough power to run (you'll need both 6 volt lines for gaming though), so I think it's something else causing the problems

You are right, i forgot about the fact that he can boot into Windows. In that case it seems the card is faulty. Try installing the card in a friends rig, see if you get the same behaviour.

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
That may be possible, but if it is, how come the op can run windows or even boot? That means it's at least getting enough power to run (you'll need both 6 volt lines for gaming though), so I think it's something else causing the problems

ok first off some points...

1. the loud noise could still be attributed to the vid card not getting enough power, nvidia cards simply underclock themselves when they dont have enough power. (make sure both power cables are plugged in the card)

2. Could you please post the make and model of your PSU or atleast put down the amount of amps on the 12 volt rails.

3. the driver issue, are you upgrading your card from a ATI? or even a old Nvidia, its probably not showing up in control panel because you forgot to uninstall old drivers first then install new ones(try this)

4. where did the high pitched noise come from, im in a flat at the moment which doesnt exactly have clean electricity my speakers will hiss at me every so often and i have had them screech loudy at me before the fuse blew, (luckily i have a very high quality PSU in my computer so my components dont fry)

now im gonna bitch slap you(u dont have to read but you should),

what in gods name do you need a 8800GTX for? when you are running at a default res of only 1024*768, have you any idea how much money you just wasted, you will actually get worse performance at that res cause the CPU will become the bottleneck. you should of stayed with the GX2 till you could afford the large 30" monitor you need to utilise this card. infact your wasting the power of the GX2 aswell.

cusis

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Guys Guys Guys...let me clear something up!

First time i put the card into the pc it booted up. But i couldnt install it, then i figured it was probably cos it wasnt powered up correctly.

After reading my psu manual on how to set up the gf card (very confused, still done think i got it right) i wasnt able to get past that speeling noise.

Nomans63

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
Ok so i have order the antec 900 case, should come tuesday, hopefully the 8800 will work
You still have to remove the optional 120mm fan holder (black plastic) in front of the drive cage in the Antec 900 in order for the 8800GTX to fit in the first PCI-E slot in the case. I had to remove mine. It was no big deal and straight forward but necessary.